NGD SL2 Pro satin Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD SL2 Pro satin Black

Having both an empty soloist case, and a bad case of GAS, I decided to head over the local Jackson dealer and take a gander. Hey, well what do you know, a few SL2 PROs in stock.. nice. Grabbed the quick silver and ... WTF, the fret ends were sticking out & as sharp as a razor, the binding was popping out because the either the frets were too long or the wood had shrank on its trip from Indonesia to New Mexico. Well that was a crap first impression! Grabbed a satin black, and oh baby, come to daddy! Master builder Rashid was having a great day! Wonderful neck with a smooth ebony fretboard, so nice, worthy of its namesake. After pointing out the flaws of the Quick Silver, I was able to drive a hard bargain. Now my empty case is full.

FMIC get your feces consolidated and do some QC! Being a Jackson fanboy, I was willing to weed through to get the good one, others may be more tempted to move on. Your marketing these at a premium price, we expect a premium product!!!!

Anyway, for those of you looking at the SL2s. I certainly recommend doing a test drive, and a thorough check.

I’ll do a side by side with my black SL2H once I get this home to China.

DSC_0141.jpg
    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

HNGD, great looking! Reminds me a tad of Ola Englunds S7 Solar guitars.

Comment

Here she is with the rest of the gang. I gave her a good setup and she plays just Awesome! I’ll probably need to do a few adjustments once she gets acclimatized a bit more to the shanghai weather.

[S]The neck pickup did not come with springs for the adjustment screws, so I need to do something there. Bummer I didn’t catch this while I was in the US. [/S]

Correction: there must be some sort of rubber compression thinkgamabob to hold the pickup height. After sitting for a couple of days, it doesn’t flop around anymore

Last edited by LaoWai; 08-09-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Now that I’ve been tapping her for a couple of months, I thought I might share some thoughts about the SL2 pro.

The fretboard, ebony, seems to have some sort of finish on it. I’d hate to guess what it is,
        I know its there because there was buildup/overspray between the nut and the first fret.
        Easily rubbed out with grey Scotch Brite. Seems like quality ebony though.

The fret ends are beveled at a greater angle than the USA’s, giving slightly less actual usable fret board width.
        This hasn’t caused me any problems playing wise though, any more though and a smaller nut might be in order

The binding is thinner than on the USA’s making the overall neck width almost a 1/16 narrower.
        I know it’s a small measurement. But you can feel the difference. I’m not implying this is negative, just different.
        It’s actually very comfortable given that I have smaller hands.

The neck is oiled/raw maple; you cannot feel the transition from raw to paint where the neck meets the body.
        Really a nice job here.

The body, not much to say here, its alder with a matt finish, zero quality issues, the back plates are aluminum.
        No issues with the electronics.

The Floyd, this one bugs me a bit, one of the studs was cross threaded in the insert. I didn’t notice this until
        after I got back to shanghai . My dealer was kind enough to ship warranty parts, but unfortunately they
        were the wrong fuggin parts! I ordered OFR studs and inserts myself.

Whew! So once I got through these minor issues and gave her I good setup, I must say this is a nice guitar.
        Nice low action, no buzz or dead frets, Floyd stays in perfect tune. She’s really fun to play!

Who knows maybe I picked out a lemon. Would I recommend this to others? Well, I’m on the fence!
        I would 100% recommend the guitar that’s sitting next to me now, it’s fugging badass!
        Whether or not these minor QC issues are the norm is the issue.

Dan
        Last edited by LaoWai; 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Nice detailed review. That guitar would look so badass with black hardware. Digging that chrome/mirrored soloist you have there also. Nice!!!
          Last edited by walshula; 09-23-2013, 06:32 AM.
          I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
            Having both an empty soloist case, and a bad case of GAS

Great review, and congrats, it looks awesome, the chrome hardware looks great with that ebony board! I wish there was a SL1 on this new pro series.

Comment

Nice group shot too. It looks right at home.
              Slick looking guitar.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The Floyd, this one bugs me a bit, one of the studs was cross threaded in the insert.
                WTF?? It would take quite a bit of work to pull that fuck up off.. More than a minor QC issue IMO.. Nice job Jackson..
                Still good features for the money as long as you don't mind a bit of work. And yeah, nice group shot!
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Just got my Quicksilver one two weeks ago. It's perfect and I love it.

... well, I did swap out the pickups with D'Activator and Liquifire and added a massive chunk of brass, brass claw and up-stop.
                  So nice of Jackson to roll these out with the JB/'59 kit which just happened to have been stock on my Pro Mod San Dimas, when I bought it... They fit nicely in there when I swapped both sets around.

Great guitar!
                  Last edited by psychles; 09-23-2013, 05:01 AM.

Comment

She’s a beauty! Any issues, or was she just badass out of the box?

Comment

She’s a beauty! Any issues, or was she just badass out of the box?
                      Thanks LaoWai - need to wrap up a couple things at work and I'll reply. There were a couple things, but nothing major... but if I didn't have the tools (or a little experience), they might have been. BRB...

Ok... So I ordered mine online to take advantage of a 15% off Labor Day sale - which means I didn't get a chance to fondle a rack (of guitars) to find the most friendly one. I wanted quicksilver, specifically the one with the black logo, but, from what I could tell, only the early ones had the black logo and the newer ones had white. Mine showed up with black logo - and nothing broken, which was a relief!

Like you found, the ends of the frets were not as "finished" as I would have hoped. It was particularly noticeable, for me, because I have been playing a 2012 Japanese Pro Mod San Dimas and it has the sweetest, most beautifully finished frets I have yet to see.

However, about a year ago, I found a really great fret file online and picked it up (for just such an emergency)... I only touched up about half a dozen of them, actually. It was pretty clean.

I also found that the SL2 was shipped with those tiny pots. I looked around for a bit and could find no benefit to using the small pots... but I could find no problem with them, either. But I walked down to the local Starving Musician (used instrument shop in the Bay Area) and opened up a later-model USA Soloist and saw that it had the large type pots, so I installed new ones in the SL2. It did require a slight re-size of the mounting holes, but nothing dramatic. I also added a Sprague Orange Drop 225p cap... All of this done while I was swapping out the JB/'59 for D'Activator/Liquifire.

Other than that, I just took some .0000 steel wool to the back of the neck (but I do that with all my guitars) and gave it a light once-over, just to get some extra oil off. Dropped on some new Infeld 10-46 strings and gave the board a once-over with Gorgomyte and adjusted the bridge height a tiny bit - checked the intonation and found it to be "close enough." Oh, I mentioned before that I also added the large brass block to the floyd, along with the brass claw. But most of these changes are upgrades (imo) that I would do to any new guitar. Really the only "issue" with the SL2 Pro was the half dozen poorly finished frets. The rest was just a standard set-up, really.

LOVE the guitar!
                      Last edited by psychles; 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Here she is with the rest of the gang. I gave her a good setup and she plays just Awesome! I’ll probably need to do a few adjustments once she gets acclimatized a bit more to the shanghai weather.

[S]The neck pickup did not come with springs for the adjustment screws, so I need to do something there. Bummer I didn’t catch this while I was in the US. [/S]

Correction: there must be some sort of rubber compression thinkgamabob to hold the pickup height. After sitting for a couple of days, it doesn’t flop around anymore
                        Hey LaoWai:

The Duncans on the SL2 Pro come with a big chunk of rubberized foam (like my RG7321 stock pups did), instead of springs for the screws. When I swapped out the pups, I went the spring route... If you want to dial in more adjust-ability, I recommend removing the foam from under the pups and installing some longer screws and springs.

I have the hardware, if you like I can send over the parts you need.

Comment

Working...
                        X