New (old) guitar day - DK2M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) guitar day - DK2M

Hey folks. If you remember me at all you'll remember that I have an unhealthy love for maple fretboards, so it was only natural that my second Jackson would be the same as my first...

I bought a new white DK2M back in '08, and I hadn't bought another guitar since. Only a bass to sustain my guitar buying itch. Last week I noticed a black DK2M on the 'bay and kept an eye on it, then eventually convinced myself to grab it. Something to do with the fact that it was in good condition and less than half the price of one of the new Mexican models. It came in at work today.

An inauspicious start; I managed to give myself a damned annoying papercut on the box. Right on the side of the knuckle. Kills every time I bend my finger, which is quite often. Today has taught me that bending my finger is something that I like to do, and that I get cranky when a papercut interferes with that. Anyway, I peeled away layer after layer of bubble wrap to - surprise - find that the guitar was actually in a gig bag, which hadn't been mentioned in the ad. Cool. Inside the gig bag and past more bubble wrap to finally reveal the guitar. It looked in good condition overall, but not ready to play. I don't think I've ever seen strings so manky before in my life. Perhaps the guys in the office were expecting me to tune up and belt out a solo, but the moment I saw those strings I put it back in the bag and daydreamed of getting home and doing a proper setup.

So that's what I've been doing this evening. I've set it up for Drop D with 10's, and given a fret polish and overall waxing for some shiny goodness. As I thought before, the general condition was great and it was just the strings and setup that were awful, so once I'd spent an evening working on it, it's almost as good as new. Overall, I'm very pleased. Plays just as well as I'd expect given my experience with my white one, low action, zero buzz, fretboard like butter. Though I haven't had much time to play anything on it aside from a burst of Blackwater Park. And I think it's pretty cool to see the white and black guitars next to each other. Black wouldn't be my first choice, but I've found it looks much better in person than it does in photos, and the maple suits it *almost* as well as it suits the white. Before it arrived I was imagining putting zebra pickups and cream pickup rings on to break up the flat blackness of it all, but now it's in my hands it looks much better than I expected so now I'm not so sure. I'll have to think about it. For my first foray into buying used gear, it's gone pretty well.

I suppose I can't hold back the pictures any longer...

And you can see in that last one my measly collection so far. Now that I'm a "professional" engineer (yeah right!) and not a student anymore, I may well start buying up more guitars. More Jacksons to be precise. Especially Jacksons with maple fretboards. Perhaps one of the new DK2Ms...

Or on the other hand I could buy some rather spiffy upgrades for my PC rig. Choices, choices...
    I like maple fretboards. :P

how about upgrading that phone!

grats on the new twanger!

Comment

He got the phone at a Goodwill office supply sale for 25cents.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Confuse-a-Cat View Post
        "Eboneeeee and ivoreeeeeee.... Live together in perfect haaaarmoneeeeee..." Congrats!

Comment

I'm confused! The landline next to the guitar rack? Never use it! Took the photos on my HTC One X+....

Comment

You lucky lucky bastard, ive been after one for quite some time. beatin' myself up for not grabbing one while they were everywhere.

Ive seen quite a few on ebay lately, nearly all black, but none of the sellers will ship to Australia. Apparently, Koalas can't be trusted.

Anyway, congrats mate, not 1 but 2 super hot axes that make me greener than my Kawasaki with envy.

Comment

Great score, brah! I've got a white one identical to yours.
              Excellent playing and sounding, though the thin neck has
              taken getting used to...

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                You lucky lucky bastard, ive been after one for quite some time. beatin' myself up for not grabbing one while they were everywhere.

Ive seen quite a few on ebay lately, nearly all black, but none of the sellers will ship to Australia. Apparently, Koalas can't be trusted.

Anyway, congrats mate, not 1 but 2 super hot axes that make me greener than my Kawasaki with envy.
                Thanks! Whenever I get annoyed about guitar prices and availability here in the UK compared with the States, I just remind myself that you folks down under have it much worse. Makes me feel better, but it doesn't help you guys.

And speaking of green, hmm, something in Kawasabi green for a next axe? That could be arranged. I feel as though I ought to branch out and buy something that isn't a DK2M. I'd even be willing to get something without a maple fretboard! Or perhaps the new Mexican DK2Ms are different enough that I ought to go with one of those...

Comment

Working...
                X