Jackson SDX adventure and review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SDX adventure and review!

I took the plunge and ordered a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX the other day from a seller on ebay. Keep in mind that not every seller is willing to ship to Canada so pickings are slim as they say.

This one was discounted as a factory second so I paid even less than a new one. Those things are usually some small blemish and I am not bothered by that stuff especially if a buck or two is to be saved.

This one was obviously a store model as the neck and over all guitar was pretty grimy with nasty old strings too.

I took the whole thing apart and spent the better part of the afternoon putting it back together. The fret ends were waaaaay to sharp and needed attention to. I was planing on swapping the bridge humbucker with a JB that I had lying around but when I opened up the guitar I just laughed!

Granted they did use Alpha full size 250K pots but the wiring was so lame and shoddy! The cheap 5 way switch was a joke but even better was the obvious cold solder joints pretty much everywhere!

Just for kicks I pulled out the Fluke meter and started to probe. Yup! Middle single coil is dead due to cold solder! Factory second alright! Not to mention no springs on that very pup! Good luck adjusting the height on that one huh?

At this point I just pulled all the crap out and in the next few days will install a proper Switchcraft 5-way and jack as well as some 500K CTS pots to repair this bad boy.

Body wise its pretty decent for basswood I assume? The neck needed to be shimmed so that the pickups were not a mile off the pickguard.

This guitar if scored for cheap and upgraded has some great potential but unless you are a pretty good guitar tech or have extra cash on hand, score a used MIJ So Cal instead. The quality is well worth the extra cash.

BTW totally off topic but this is what Mother Nature gave us today on April 12th here in Montreal. Almost 20 cm's of snow!

And to think last week I was on the Kawasaki riding all day! LOL! Only in Canada I guess!

Last edited by vklobucar; 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM.

Yes they need tweaking and some work but well worth it when you get done.
    Mine is a killer player now.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Oh I agree! The potential is there but only if you are willing to seriously tweak it or have some tech go over it to eliminate the poor quality control.

The neck alone is killer once dressed and setup.

It will be a screamer that is for sure!

Comment

I look at them in terms of how much would a Musikraft neck be, a body and paint and pickguard that is it excluding tuners floyd and pups. Looking at it that way they are fairly decent value for money, but you are still stuck with a Basswood body which can be good or a nightmare long term depending on the quality and weight of it. The basswood they used on the model series seemed to be really heavy and lasted a long time, the basswood they built my Stealth LT out of is like Balsa wood. Maybe it's the difference between the distance between growth rings from where its sourced, continental vs. maritime lime trees and duration of growing seasons or species. I donno.

In parts of the UK it's still snowing, even though this last week it's been warming up and this years Spring lambing season is over, they are all dead, buried by snow.
        Last edited by ginsambo; 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM.
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Mine had no springs on the middle pickup too. :think:

Comment

Mine had no springs on that pick up either why they do that IDK.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Mine had no springs on that pick up either why they do that IDK.
              To save 3 cents?

:think:
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I took mine to band practice Friday night. I was pretty happy with it. The only thing I have done to it so far is get the Floyd setup. The previous owner had drop tuned it and had pulled a spring. I was able to get my action pretty low with no buzz. I can see the pups need adjusting. Hopefully my SDX luck will continue. :-)
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

WTF?? A thread about a new guitar, and the associated shoddiness inside and all we get pics of are SNOW????
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I was wondering the same thing
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I am disappoint.

Comment

Okay okay.....LOL!

Since the snow is gone I guess I know need to post a pic of the guitar eh?

This afternoon as soon as work is done....

Comment

Originally posted by MarceloBR View Post
                          Mine had no springs on the middle pickup too. :think:
                          Neither did mine. Just one more reason to get it the hell out of my life. I really love the Jap Charvels though - I thought they were better in terms of fit & finish than the US ProMods.

Comment

I heard yesterday that these will be Mexican made in the near future.

Comment

I put about $300 extra into mine and it is now my main player. Sold my US San Dimas because this one plays and sounds better. Seems like the build quality is bad, not the actual components, save the electronics which were cheap to replace.

Comment

Working...
                              X