My Kelly Professional Std.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kelly Professional Std.

Cool forum! I took my old Japanese Kelly out of the closet to clean/rehab it after not playing it for several years. I thought I would share pics of it here. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. I took them at night and I was having trouble finding good light and it's a new camera of which I am unfamiliar. Here's what I have so far. I used to play the hell out of it and you can see where my pinkie wore through the finish below the high E string.

Last edited by Jason; 03-07-2013, 12:38 AM.

Welcome! I had to look that one up in the scans, never seen one of those. 1997 KE4.. First time I've seen the woodgrain on a Kelly. Pretty cool.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Welcome Jason. If your finger did that, I'd hate to see what your feet do to your shoes

Looks like this has been refinished without grain fill & undercoat, I like it.

At least your guitar has been played like they were made for, not kept in solitary confinement.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
        Welcome! I had to look that one up in the scans, never seen one of those. 1997 KE4.. First time I've seen the woodgrain on a Kelly. Pretty cool.
        Yep, KE4 with a satin-finished ash body and regular JT580 trem. A Kelly Standard would have a poplar body with clear gloss finish and low-profile JT580 trem.

Nice guitar, and welcome to the forum!

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1997Page11.jpg

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...4-95Page07.jpg
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Thanks for the scans Toejam. I did not realize that they changed the model numbers; I just saw that the standard model had no neck binding and plain dot inlays. I bought the guitar used sometime in 1996-1997. Not sure why the original owner traded it in. When I first picked it up, I fell in love with the feel of the neck and the action was excellent. The neck pickup sounds really good with high gain. It gets a really good thrash/death metal sound. The neck pickup is weak, however. In order to even out the volume between the two, I had to adjust the bridge pickup way down and the neck pickup way up. I thought about installing a set of D-Activators if I get ambitious. The Takeuchi locking trem has excellent tuning stability. I can completely slacken the strings and it comes back to correct pitch over and over again. The reason that I stopped playing it was that the input jack was buzzing. I am going to take it out and find a quality replacement online.

Yesterday I measured the fret wire with a digital calipers and got .052X.115 which I guess is standard "jumbo."

I also have a 1998 USA Candy Apple Red DR-II. I really like that guitar as well.
          Last edited by Jason; 03-08-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

No problem. My first Jackson in the early '90s was a Kelly Standard. I sent it right back to Musician's Friend because I didn't like lo-pro trems at the time, but I probably should have kept it. Takeuchi trems are nice and do work well.

D-Activators might work well in yours. I've got a 7-string set in one of my guitars that I really like.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

nice kelly, id take that finish off and stain that badboy!

Comment

Working...
              X