Which pick-ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pick-ups?

I'm looking at new pick-ups for my JS32 Dinky. I see pick-ups listed for sale that are regular and F-spaced.

The description reads: Regular spacing (1.90" 1st-to-6th) is for vintage Gibson guitars. F-spacing (2.01" 1-st-to-6th) is for most Fender guitars, modern Gibson, and guitars with Floyd Rose bridges.

I don't have a Floyd Rose (I have a string-through body), but neither do modern Gibsons or most Fenders. It certainly isn't a vintage Gibson.

What one am I looking for?

Should be F. What are you looking for, passive or active?

Comment

I was looking at the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary specifically. Those list both a regular spaced and an F-spaced.

Though I am also looking at EMG-HZ series as well.
      Last edited by Kynlore; 12-29-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

It makes no difference at all. But I'd go with the F-spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kynlore View Post
          I was looking at the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary specifically. Those list both a regular spaced and an F-spaced.

Personally I'd shy away from the HZ EMG's. IMO they don't sound much like actual EMG's. A friend of mine picked up a JS32 for a song and has been very happy with the Duncan Distrtion and a Duncan Jazz in it.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I have a JS32FR Rhoads and I replaced it´s original Jackson CVR bridge pickup with a EMG HZ H4. I don´t think it was worth it, CVR did not sound horrible and HZ is not hotter or otherwise better enough to justify the extra cost and effort. HZ does not sound like EMG81, that´s my opinion. I considered to get a real EMG81 and install active system, but I have EMG81´s in almost all my other guitars and it is perhaps a good idea to have a different sounding guitar too so I decided to leave that HZ in my JS32 anyway.
            My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
              It makes no difference at all. But I'd go with the F-spacing.
              Can I ask why you would go with the F-spaced if it makes no difference at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
                I have a JS32FR Rhoads and I replaced it´s original Jackson CVR bridge pickup with a EMG HZ H4. I don´t think it was worth it, CVR did not sound horrible and HZ is not hotter or otherwise better enough to justify the extra cost and effort. HZ does not sound like EMG81, that´s my opinion. I considered to get a real EMG81 and install active system, but I have EMG81´s in almost all my other guitars and it is perhaps a good idea to have a different sounding guitar too so I decided to leave that HZ in my JS32 anyway.
                Is there enough room in the control cavity for the battery to install actives?
                Last edited by Kynlore; 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Is there enough room in the control cavity for the battery to install actives?
                  Yes, there is enough room for a single 9v battery. I guess Rhoads´s control cavity is same size as Dinky´s.
                  My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Personally, I think the active EMGs are kick ass, but also look at the Dimarzio D'Activator X which is passive. I put one in a DK2 & it sounds awesome.

The difference is it's alder, the JS are cedro. Not sure what tone characteristics this wood creates.

Comment

go with the 36th PAF's trust me you wont be disappointed.
                      they go with all body woods

Comment

Can I ask why you would go with the F-spaced if it makes no difference at all?
                        F-spaced ensures that each string will be properly positioned over the pups pole pieces. It makes a slight difference. Started out as Floyd Spaced or Fender Spaced or something like that, but I think most bridges use F-spacing these days. And of course, spacing doesn't matter at all if you go for rail magnets like the DiMarzio D-Activator X.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

DP223 is a DiMarzio 36th bridge that is F spaced.

F spacing is to let you sleep at night knowing your strings will line up under the pole pieces if things like that drive you nutty

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              DP223 is a DiMarzio 36th bridge that is F spaced.

F spacing is to let you sleep at night knowing your strings will line up under the pole pieces if things like that drive you nutty
                              want to add ,these 36th's bridge pu's are not your average PAF, they have more grunt,snarl than reg PAF's.
                              I like them a lot with a high gain amp

Comment

Working...
                              X