Making a PS-4 into something more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a PS-4 into something more!

I started a thread in the tech section a bit ago about a stripped JT-500 trem on it. I decided to replace it, and do a few mods while I was at it. If you go to page 2 of that thread here, I've posted pics of routing the trem cavity to replace the JT-500 with a Floyd Rose Special. I also decided to ebonize the fretboard and replace the pickups while I was at it.

For those that have never played a PS-4, they are really good guitars, minus the pickups and hardware. I've already replaced all of the cavity electronics with CTS pots, CRL 5 way switch, and Orange Drop .223 cap. By the time I'm done with it, she'll be a screamer!

Far from polishing a turd!
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Great stuff Silar! I see lots of JS series in the pawn shops, and thought about doing something simliar to your project. Keep us posted Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
      Great stuff Silar! I see lots of JS series in the pawn shops, and thought about doing something simliar to your project. Keep us posted Sir!
      Thanks Sixx! I'd say go for it! My PS-4 is really a phenomenal player and feels great. The PO had even tried to repaint the JT500 to try get it sold faster, but that actually made it look worse. It was inevitable that I'd have to change the trem when I traded him for it. Super thin straight neck with extremely low action. I knew with a little bit of modding it would be a monster.

Comment

PS-4's are probably Jackson's most under-rated/under-appreciated guitars, especially the MIJ ones. I had one as my first guitar that got stolen from me. I recently got another for a great price in the classifieds here and ended up swapping the trem for a Schaller and the middle pickup became a pink Dimarzio Evolution middle single coil and I put Neon Pink Duncan Distortion and Jazz pickups in the neck and bridge. I put more into the pickups than I did the guitar itself, but it's really a fun guitar that was more for reminiscing than value.

Comment

My PS-2 is one of my main live guitars I like it I've played a few PS-4's and I liked them just never really liked the H-S-H configuration. Not sure why as I have a few H-S-S guitars and like them fine. Performers are good guitars IMO. Granted changing out everything is a must but as a body and neck they are very comfy except for the lack of a bevel cut in the lower horn. As soon as my current projects are done the PS-2 is gonna get a refin and I'm definitely cutting out a bevel in the lower horn. With of course an 80's graphic.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Finished the PS-4! It SCREAMS! The hexbuckers are amazing! Mine measured in at 16.4 ohms on the bridge, and 8.4 ohms for the neck. No microphonics with my setup. I am very happy!

BTW, my PS-4 is made in Japan and has the lower horn bevel cut. Neck and Body match (both have PS-4 and 96).. The PS-4's are underrated..

Mods done to this one...
            • CTS 500k pots
            • CRL 5 way switch
            • Sprague .223 Orange Drop Cap
            • Switchcraft jack
            • Replaced all wiring
            • Floyd Rose Special
            • New nut locking screws
            • Matching zebra Hexbuckers neck and bridge
            • Black flat metal pickup rings
            • Ebonized the fretboard
            • And of course some new d'addario XL110 strings

I'll eventually replace the middle pickup also, but honestly, I don't really ever use it....
            Here she is!

Comment

That turned out fantastic.
              Nice job!
              -Rick

Comment

My eyes kind of popped at the electronics, good choices!
                Very nice looking result as well.

Comment

Thanks guys! It turned out better than I expected. intonation is spot on also. What a phenominal guitar for so little money. I gotta get that bubinga DX10 done!

Comment

That turned out great, love the zebra choice on that green body. Well done!

Comment

What did you use to ebonize the FB?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        What did you use to ebonize the FB?
                        It was just some Minwax ebony stain. I think a pint was like $3-$4.. It worked way better than I thought. I cleaned all the old oil and finger film off with some mineral spirits, lightly sanded, used some 0000 steel wool, then cleaned again with the mineral spirits before I started to stain. I did 2 coats and let them soak for about 15-20 minutes each before wiping off the excess. Then I let it sit overnight and used some more 0000 steel wool, then some good 'ole gunstock oil.

Comment

Well Done!

I never understood why more folks opt for the way more expensive Stewmac (insert your typical guitar parts store here) ebonizer stuff. Minwax works very well and the more coats you put on, the darker your staining object gets. It is foolproof stuff that can be had for very cheap.
                          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Oh another thing I've used is Kiwi leather dye (black). Now THAT stuff really REALLY makes whatever you put it on BLACK! I remember back when I was in the Army, I bought some to put on my very scuffed up boots. I spilled a bit on the hardwood flooring of Rose Terrace housing at Ft. Knox where I was stationed. The puddle INSTANTLY turned that spot BLACK....wherever it it touched. I spent a good two weeks sanding the floor in just that spot in an attempt to fix it. I did not want to have to pay for the damages I had caused. I fixed the floor well enought that I didn't have to pay anything, but I realized the ebonizing potential of this stuff.

WORKS FUCKING GREAT!

Just ensure that you ONLY get it on what you intend and nothing else. :LOL:
                            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I'd be concerned it would ebonize the inlays or the binding.

?

Comment

Working...
                              X