NGD RR24XT Kawasabi bevels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD RR24XT Kawasabi bevels!

Ok, so I got it last week but here's the rundown with the good and the bad.

First, the good: playable out of the box, great looking rosewood, very good paint, good off white binding, Tone Pros bridge, all metal plates, very good fit/finish regarding screws, hardware, etc.

The bad: Neck volume does not work, toggle was scratchy but ironed itself out, frets needed very minor filing-just some burrs, nothing sticking out.

I'm grading this as it compares to my RR24 and it comes in second but a very respectable second to the RR24. I'm not sure what's up with the neck volume but the pickup works when you switch to it. No matter as I'll install some USA Duncans and new pots anyway in time. However, the Duncan Design pickups aren't terrible and definitely better than HZ's to me. I did a setup including minor truss rod adjustment, lowered the bridge and used a fret end file to take down some rough spots on the fret ends. Total of about 30 minutes and the guitar is very satisfactory to me in every regard except for the electronics issue. No dead spots in the frets and the action is now below Jackson factory standards.

Be advised I got the Jackson deluxe gig bag for the Kelly/Rhoads/King V and it is a tight fit. I can't see a King V fitting in this bag. It is a nice bag though. I'll likely spring for a case but the RR24XT is shaped slightly different than my RR24 and it was a weird fit in the RR24 Jackson hard case.

*EDIT* Figured out the weird fit issue in the RR24 case. It's the long-ass straplock mount on the rear of the upper wing of the RR24XT that makes it fit really tight and only want to go in at a certain angle.

Last edited by Widowmaker; 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM.

This is the finish the X Series Warrior should've had.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I like it

Comment

If the binding matched the bevels, I'd have a sticky keyboard.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

If only the RR1/RR1T came with this finish and 24 frets...

Grats on the axe, though.

Comment

Needs a Floyd

And the WRXT (bolt-on!) needs Kawasabi Green, not just the bevels.

How about KG with black bevels?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Widowmaker View Post
              The bad: Neck volume does not work
              Are you sure it's supposed to be a volume and not a tone control? Through the years, some Rhoads models got V/V/T and others V/T/T. Congrats on a sweet looking guitar!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Are you sure it's supposed to be a volume and not a tone control? Through the years, some Rhoads models got V/V/T and others V/T/T. Congrats on a sweet looking guitar!
                You are right! I checked it out and that's how it's wired. Never had a V/T/T guitar before so I just figured it had two volumes!

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
                    If only the RR1/RR1T came with this finish and 24 frets...

Grats on the axe, though.
                    x1000! Hell yeah, with a Floyd & 24 frets on a RR1 in that scheme, it'd be ordered and in my paws in a NY minute. Oh wait, that'd be a XTRR...

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                      x1000! Hell yeah, with a Floyd & 24 frets on a RR1 in that scheme, it'd be ordered and in my paws in a NY minute. Oh wait, that'd be a XTRR...
                      The standard production XTRR didn't have 24 frets, though.

Comment

Or a killer long horn.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          The standard production XTRR didn't have 24 frets, though.
                          Having only owned one, (but it DID have 24 frets), I'm obviously unqualified to issue statements like the one I did. Perhaps I should have said "...my XTRR."
                          And Whoopu2 is correct: my XTRR had smaller wings/horns and was 24 3/4" scale...

Comment

Oh, yeah, yours was Custom Shop. How much smaller were your wings, though? The regular XTRR had short wings (based off of Dan Spitz's Dinky RR which was basically an RR with the bevels cut off and then rebeveled), reverse headstock and reverse sharkfins, 22 frets, Invader/Full Shred pups, one volume, Floyd.

Comment

Yummo V right there........it does need a floyd though

Comment

Working...
                              X