Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a dillema... Jackson SL2H or DK2M + SLX? Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a dillema... Jackson SL2H or DK2M + SLX? Opinions?

Well, i wasn't expecting but i've found a nice used SL2H for sale in a local auction list (around 1100 Euros). I've always wanted an USA Jackson, neck-thru, specially the SL2H and now i've found one in a good price.

The problem is... i love the DK2M's maple fretboard... And there's one DK2M, black, sitting on a store near my house.

I already have a DK2 that i really enjoy, amazing quality for an exceptional price. So, what to do? Buy the SL2H and forget about the DK2M? Or buy the DK2M + Jackson SLX (for the neck-thru)? I can get the DK2M + SLX, both new, for 1100 Euros, the same exact price as the SL2H. Would the SLX be a good/cheaper alternative to the SL2H?

I simply cannot buy the SL2H now (1100 Euros) and later buy a used DK2M (around 350/400 in here). My wife would kill me to spend so moch on Jackson guitars...

Any opinions are welcomed

I say go for the SL2H, it's a better investment (so to speak) than the SLX and for that price, it's a steal. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on and go for the DK2M afterwards.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Can't speak for the SL2H, never played one but those DK2M's are getting really hard to find.

SL would be sweet, but so would 2 nice guitars at once.

I feel your pain.

Comment

If the SL2H is local, see if you can try it out. A lot of times that all that it takes to make up your mind one way or another.

Personally, I would rather have 1 nice guitar than __ so-so guitars.

Comment

if you can't get a SL2H USA then go with the DK2M they are f**in amazing and are no longer made,
          I still cant believe the some of the best MIJ jackson are now not available because of the factory closing
          Last edited by CHARVEL_strat_81; 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I gotta agree the DK2M's are gettign harder to find. Lucky I fouund one on craigslist for $250.
            Should have never parted it out. Now I am seeing that maple neck for $250!
            Try out the SL2H to see if its for you.

Comment

Try the sl2h and SLX. Preferably through your own amp. See which one feels/plays/sounds better and go from there. The ebony/maple on the SL2H is a killer combination. I think the SLX is Basswood/rosewood which in my experience can sound a little hollow when plugged in.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Try the sl2h and SLX. Preferably through your own amp. See which one feels/plays/sounds better and go from there. The ebony/maple on the SL2H is a killer combination. I think the SLX is Basswood/rosewood which in my experience can sound a little hollow when plugged in.
                yeah and IF it does sound hollow dump the stock pu and put in a duncan Custom-custom trembucker TB-11 that will bring up the body in the tone for sure!

Comment

I say go for thr SL2H, especially if its a good price. It already has top of the line componets, excellent craftsmanship, etc. They also hold their value really well. Never played the SLX but I did have a DK2M. The DK2M was nice, but the neck on the SL2H feels much more comfortable to me. Also, the jt580 trem on the DK2M is pretty good, but its not as good as the OFR on the soloist. To me, I would rather have one kick ass guitar than two good ones. I always end up playing only one of my guitars 90% of the time anyway. The DK2M's are getting a little hard to find, but I still see plenty used ones for sale for around $350, so I do think you could pick one up later on.

Comment

Originally posted by damon1 View Post
                    I say go for thr SL2H, especially if its a good price. It already has top of the line componets, excellent craftsmanship, etc. They also hold their value really well. Never played the SLX but I did have a DK2M. The DK2M was nice, but the neck on the SL2H feels much more comfortable to me. Also, the jt580 trem on the DK2M is pretty good, but its not as good as the OFR on the soloist. To me, I would rather have one kick ass guitar than two good ones. I always end up playing only one of my guitars 90% of the time anyway. The DK2M's are getting a little hard to find, but I still see plenty used ones for sale for around $350, so I do think you could pick one up later on.
                    I played one slx the burnt cherry quilt and it was surprisingly amazing bro!

Comment

I would definitely go with the sl2h. $1100 is a great price for soloist!
                      Last edited by Maiden89; 07-28-2012, 03:18 PM.
                      Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                      Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Try as many of them out as you can.You can get info on here all you want but it won't replace what your ears will tell you. I say buy all 3, but I'm funny like that. Good luck.
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhair View Post
                          Personally, I would rather have 1 nice guitar than __ so-so guitars.
                          ^ this.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Get the SL2H.

I've owned five Japanese import Jacksons before I bought my USA DK1. Once I got my hands on the DK1 I realized my only mistake was not getting one sooner. The Japanese imports are great guitars, but with the exception of the Professionals there really is no comparison.

Comment

I'd go for the SL2H, get it set-up to your taste and play it exclusively. I have recently gone from 4 guitars down to 2 (and will soon be going down to 1) - I can only play one at a time unfortunately!

Comment

Working...
                              X