Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Jackson DK2M lovers... what about the DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Jackson DK2M lovers... what about the DK2?

A similar question was posted on another forum, and it was something i always also thought about...

I've seen a lot of posts in here and on another forums raving about the DK2M, that it's a Jackson classic, one of the best guitars under 1000, it's awesome, etc.

Everyone that owns or owned one seems to love this guitar!

I already played one DK2M and i can confirm that it's really great, at least i really liked it.

I prefer 2 singles and 1 hum for versatility (DK2). And as far as i know, the only diference between the 2 models is the neck (maple vs rosewood) and the HH vs HSS configuration. Everything else should be the same, right?

But... It's rare to see people raving so much about the DK2, as opposed to the DK2M. I've read good DK2 reviews but the DK2M gets always talked on the forums as being one hell of a guitar for the price, and i've yet to find these kind of statements for the regular DK2.

So, why do you think this happens? Is the DK2 an inferior guitar, compared to the DK2M? What are your toughts about the DK2? Is it as good as a DK2M, but with diferent pickup configuration?

Please share your thoughts

Thank you all in advance!
    Last edited by mnit1965; 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM.

There are a few limited run models of DK2M that have the HSS setup. The blue bengal comes to mind that had both a HH and HSS model.

I've owned both a DK2 and a DK2M. The DK2 was a nice guitar but it had Duncan Design pickups in it. I could have swapped them out but didn't want to bother with it. It was a good player but I eventually sold it. My general preferene is a maple board and Seymour Duncans so the DK2M is a perfect fit for me.

Comment

I do not think the DK2 is inferior but I can tell you the Maple neck on the DK2M is like the 8th wonder of the world. Just a fabulous piece of engineering and very sought after for projects etc...You don't see too many of them out there for sale either. Build quality overall is outstanding on the whole guitar. I prefer 2 Hum configs so my DK2M is in my opinion perfect. You can coil tap the hums to get the single coil strat tones so I think it is actually more versatile. The DK2 is a great guitar but magic happened when they started building the MIJ DK2Ms. Of course this is just my opinion but it is what I firmly believe!
      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
      ENGL Powerball II
      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Another reason for all the DK2M love is that it was us here on the JCF that suggested it to Jackson oh those many years ago.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've never played a dk2, but I own a orange splash bengal dk2m. I love that guitar more than any other guitar I've played. The neck is amazing, the black shark fin inlays are fantastic looking! Its just an awesome sounding, looking and playing guitar.

@racerx I didn't know jcf'ers suggested this model, but you guys helped Jackson make one hell of a guitar!
          Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
          Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
            I do not think the DK2 is inferior but I can tell you the Maple neck on the DK2M is like the 8th wonder of the world. Just a fabulous piece of engineering and very sought after for projects etc...
            How thin is the profile on these? i once played a old skull and bones DK2 that had a ibanez wizard type neck,really wide and thin from front to back.? these are beefier right?

Comment

these are a little beefier

Comment

You need to dig up the threads from when the DK2 came out. Those that had them, loved them for the same reasons they loved the DK2M later (minus the maple board, of course).

I had one. It was a great guitar. Had trouble finding singles that had as much output volume as a good humbucker and yet still retained that classic Strat single coil tone, but that's more of a physics issue than anything.

However, as the years passed, I found myself not being as comfortable with the Dinky/Soloist/Strat body shape as I was with the Warrior body style, so I got out of those completely.
                Once I found an NASL, which is cut differently than any other model and far more comfortable for me, I stuck with that.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by mnit1965 View Post
                  Please share your thoughts
                  I think it is about uniqueness. DK2's had been around for many years, everyone and his brother owns one. DK2M's were new, and had the more popular HH config instead of the HSS.

My first Jackson was a DK2.

Comment

My first Jackson was a DK2 also. So far it's my only Jackson. I love it; I find the dinky body very comfortable, and I love the neck. Rosewood isn't my #1 choice - I love maple - but I just didn't like those big black plastic inlays on the DK2M's. I'm sure they're awesome though. If they made a dot maple neck I'd love one.

I never played a DK2M but I'm sure they and the regular DK2's are all of the same high Jap quality we all know and love. Btw mine is finished in October Pearl and came with the SD pup set, not DD. I thought having singles would be cool, but it doesn't work the same as a Fender strat so I never use them and wish it was just a 1H!

Comment

My ONLY gripes are the black binding and non painted headstock! WTF why did jackson do that? IMHO they could have went color to match body headstock and regular binding,i think the black binding and natural head only looks good on the solid black DK2M's and the bengal of course!

Comment

Is this the right trem on the new DK2M's:think: TRS -101? WTF? these were on those shitty ibanez RG's years ago!

Comment

That's the price you pay for a maple board and black fins. Fair trade, IMO, since you can drop an OFR in it easily.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The later DK2s with the real Seymour Duncans and the black hardware are great guitars. My luthier who used to work for Jackson, and is a Jackson USA snob actually said my MIJ DK2 was a good player. Nice necks and those stacked single coil pickups sound great but I'm mainly a humbucker guy. I'd say any Dk2 with the real Duncans under $300 and not beat up is a great find.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              That's the price you pay for a maple board and black fins. Fair trade, IMO, since you can drop an OFR in it easily.
                              yep i understand that and that is EXACTLY what i will be doing!

Comment

Working...
                              X