Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to paint my Kelly bevels.

Hi all! How's it going? :

So I have two black Kellys and I want to make one of them a bit different, so I've decided to paint the bevels on them a nice blood red (ties in with my band's image nucely).

I am in no way a painter by any standard, I am a graphic designer, with no experience in guitar painting. Does anyone have some adbice on how to go about this? I'm assuming I'll need some sanding paper, primer, paint and lacquer/varnish. I just have no clue as to how to add all these ingredients together to bake up a nice bevel painted Kelly :

Thanks!
    Jackson Kelly Ke3 MIJ black
    Jackson DK2 Black with Flame Frets
    Jackson JS32 8-Q (currently upgrading to SD Blackout pickups)

You can sand, paint, then clear to get what you are going for, however without experience it may not come out exactly how you want on your first try. Spend some time reading up on the subject, as paintwork is simple in itself, but is easy to do wrong for all us amateurs, myself included.

If you are looking for a simple solution, you might want to try adhesive vinyl. A quick ebay search gives a ton of results:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...vinyl&_sacat=0

Now it won't give you that custom shop look and feel of professional paint, but it is simple, inexpensive, and will give you more or less the look you are trying to achieve. Hope that helps, and keep us posted!

Comment

Agreed. Try the tape route. It is non-destructive and you can change the color any time you want. Try pin-striping tape too.

Comment

I think ill give this a go first! Thanks!

Ill keep you posted on the results.
        Jackson Kelly Ke3 MIJ black
        Jackson DK2 Black with Flame Frets
        Jackson JS32 8-Q (currently upgrading to SD Blackout pickups)

Comment

Working...
        X