NGD Damaged SLX soloist from ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Damaged SLX soloist from ebay

So, I was the guy that got that damaged black SLX off of ebay. It arrived in a timely manner. As far as the damage goes, its all cosmetic. It has the one chip right on the edge of the arm contour, the stress crack down by the heel of the neck and another stress crack closer to the headstock. Ive pushed and wiggled everything and nothing moves at all. Its all stable. So, why was it listed as unplayable for parts only? First off, the nut is drilled crooked (I hate that!) and someone had shimmed the bass side with some oddball looking scrap of something. So, the nut hangs over toward the high E about 1 mm. Someone must have been blind when they installed the nut. So, as far as the shim deal. I removed the nut to make sure there was no crack or separation of the fretboard and it all looked good. The way it was shimmed, the wound strings had perfect action but the last 2 unwound ones fretted out on the 1st fret when played open. So, Ive had this metal floyd rose nut shim in my parts box for like 20+ years. It looks like a razor blade. I installed the nut with this shim and all the strings play perfectly open. That was easy. The action seems fine for me and the frets are nice too. Theres the usual filler in the sharkies thing but Im not bothered too much by that. The electronics all work perfectly and it sounds decent with the DD pickups. I dont know If I will get around to redrilling the nut screw holes as it does not really affect my playing, its just annoying. And I could possibly do more harm than good. Thanks to member Lepard for the heads up.

Cool
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Comment

No pics, did not happen.

Comment

Hehe, I was waiting for that. Ok, this is the best part of the deal. I made sure to GTWKCITS. LOL! I'll get some pics up later.

keychain.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            Hehe, I was waiting for that. Ok, this is the best part of the deal. I made sure to GTWKCITS. LOL! I'll get some pics up later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3705[/ATTACH]
            Wow! Matching headstock, ebony fretboard, black frets and hardware. Chrome binding on the body, neck and headstock really sets it off. Not really diggin' the reverse cutaway on the lower bout but hey, to each their own. How cool that they included a free "gig bag" and "guitar hanger"
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Here are some pics. Nothing too special, just a plain old black soloist. Bad lighting, etc.

solo1.jpg

Damage. Chip, neck crack, heel crack. All look much worse in the pictures. Probably fell off the hanger at a GC.

chip1.jpg

neck1.jpg

stress1.jpg

Heres the black filler on one of the sharkies.

shark1.jpg

And 2 pics to show the nut off to the one side. I had to replace a stringlock bolt, it was stripped.

solnut1.jpg

nut2.jpg

So, for $231 shipped to my door I cant really complain. All the damage seems cosmetic and it plays fine. Other than the nut being off to the one side, none of it really bothers me. And now Ive got my 1st soloist aside from my broken 650xl.
              Last edited by Carbuff; 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

congrats on the new guitar :-)
                I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

That's not to bad a price if it's completely usable but what the fukushima did they do to it? That is woeful to treat a guitar (or anything really) in that manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                    That's not to bad a price if it's completely usable but what the fukushima did they do to it? That is woeful to treat a guitar (or anything really) in that manner.
                    By the looks of the one big chunk taken out of the body, it was probably dropped. It was probably hanging up at a GC and someone dropped it.

Comment

Cool beans. I've been trolling ebay for a used SLXT. These would be perfect for refins and/or re-tops.

Comment

Working...
                      X