Is this a mutt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a mutt?

Hi guys! I’m a Jackson newb & could use a little help on identifying this one. I’ve done a lot of searching in the last week since I snagged it on Ebay & can’t narrow it down. Serial number is 6 numbers & starts with a 6 so I’m guessing 1996. Nothing on the truss rod cover. Has the fleckstone rough finish paint & looks like EMG 81 pickup. JT-590 LP tremelo. This thing plays amazingly. I love it already. I just can’t find it in any catalogs. Any ideas?

Last edited by mkayers; 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM.

If it's a mutt, you do know that the serial number could have come off of anything?

I'm not sure.

There isn't a JT-590 LP trem. If it's a low profile, it's most likely a JT580LP from that era.

Comment

Looks like a refinished DR with the neck route filled.
      -Rick

Comment

My bad on the JT-590. Must have fat fingered it. I guess the serial could be from anything but guessed it would have been from either the neck or the body. Who knows though. If the front pickup cavity is filled there should be a plugged hole or something for a pickup selector if I pull the back cover right? One other thing is this guitar is really light. Are all Jackson's pretty light? My last guitar was a Kramer Richie Sambora & this one weighs about half of that it seems like.

Comment

Most jacksons are fairly light in my opinion. I would say def a mutt of sorts. The trem looks to be non recessed.

Comment

The trem is recessed.
            Zoom in on the pic and you can see it.
            Looks like a JT580LP.
            -Rick

Comment

Oh yeah I see it now. Do we know what the headstock says?(performer,professional,concept) im on my phone so zooming in doesnt help in seeing that part. Does the lower horn have the extra cut? Any word on the neck pocket stamp?

Edit-looks to say professional so maybe a dr3 neck? Idk the color of the rosewood makes me think x series though hmmmm:think:
              Last edited by jdr94; 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I'm going to put some new strings on it tomorrow & clean up the Jt580lp so I'll take the neck off & see what it says. I'm not sure what you mean by the extra cut on the lower horn but doesn't have any cuts on it at all. It does say Professional on the headstock too. I haven't found any stone finishes that are that dark. I'll get some better pics tomorrow.

Comment

Does it have the circular scoop around the neckplate, or is the plate just angled a bit toward the neck?

Comment

Circular scoop around the neckplate.

Comment

Here's some pics from the Ebay ad. The strings were really loose so when I tuned it up it leveled out the Floyd. I really don't care for the cheesy skull volume knob.

Comment

My best guess would be a refinished and modded dr3 as it looks like its one of the few dinkys without a lower horn bevel
                        http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1996Page05.jpg

Looking at the trem route it looks to have some space so its possible that it originally had a jt-580 w the long bolts
                        Last edited by jdr94; 03-10-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Dinky body, dinky neck..Most likely filled some stuff and refinished it? Looks cool though.
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Took the neck off & that's exactly what it is, DR3. Pocket says DR3 G. Neck pickup, second knob, & pickup selector have been filled. They did a heck of a job because you sure can't see it from the outside. Looks like it was the violet color.
                            Last edited by mkayers; 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

From my limited Dinky experience, the trans flame tops on the MIJ's don't have the lower horn bevel like the solid color paint jobs do. Not sure if it pertains to certain years or not. It's just what i've noticed looking at lot's of pics. So that could have been a trans violet at one time if you see violet in the pocket.
                              2011 Godin Summit CT
                              2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
                              2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                              1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                              2000 LTD H-307
                              2003 LTD MH-301
                              2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Working...
                              X