Bringing a DKMG back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing a DKMG back to life

On another forum I frequent, someone posted up a DKMG that had been smashed in a fit of rage (I believe a female was involved with the decision to perform such an act) that he wanted to get rid of. I decided it would be a good project as long as most of the parts were salvageable. I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until I had time to go over it and evaluate what was still good and what was junk. I sat down last night and took inventory and pretty much everything is damaged in one way or another. Whether the damage renders the part useless or not, that will be decided once I complete the project :P

Anyway, here's a quick description of what I have so far. The following photos were taken by the seller. I will be taking my own photos as I work on this project and post them here. This is just to give an idea of what I'm starting with.

The body is pretty shot. Chips, cracks, some kind of cement rash? Overall, it's in pretty bad shape. I was originally thinking about finding a body on ebay, but I think I'm going to try to use this anyway. The worst that can happen is that it's no good and I have to strip it and find a new body.

This shot shows a crack going right through the trem post. I don't know how/if this will effect stability until assembled. It seems solid, so I don't think it will be a big deal.

Next we have a huge chunk of wood missing from the lower part of the neck pocket.

This guitar has active EMG 81/85 with an AfterBurner. All 3 pots are busted, so I ordered new 25K Auido/Linear/Push-Pull pots to replace them.
    The white is the road rash. It seems to be on the top of the finish so I should be able to buff that right out.

The neck is in pretty good shape. The frets are a bit dirty, but they should clean up nice. In the second pic, you can see a crack going through the lower right screw hole. I'm going to separate it a bit with a dowel in the hole and inject some Titebond and clamp it down.

The JT580LP is in pretty good shape. The only thing I found wrong (so far) is the fine tuner spring for the low E was bent. I bent back and it seems ok. It's a little weaker than the rest so I'll have to see if it holds up when palm muting, etc. If not, they're $2 new.

One of the EMG's mounting tabs were broken off. I glued them back on. Not sure if it's going to hold. I may also hot glue it to the pickup ring for extra support. It's not like I'm jumping around stage with this thing.

Like I said, I will update this thread with more pics as I work on it. Just waiting for some parts to come in now.
    Here's a link to the gallery with more photos.

Put one of the trem posts in about halfway so you can pull out the anchor, secure the body, use something to gently pry inside the post hole (you'll need some leverage) to spread the crack slightly and let some tite bond flow down into the crack if possible, it WILL get worse with floyd and string tension, I had a Ibanez S split like that and it was F'd until it was glued and clamped back.

You may be able to do it if you screw the post in and put pressure on it sideways.

Does the crack go all the way through the body to the spring cavity? It so, The OTHER option is to drill some holes clean through and glue some dowel rods through to bond it (dowel rod of wood at least the strength of the wood the guitar is made out of, no soft crap). I've fixed split set neck joints that way and they have held up with the tension of 12-56 tuned drop C......

Have Fun!!!

Comment

I would scrap that body and look for something on ebay. There are lots on there that would take that neck and stuff.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Guit...item27c3fdf032
      Last edited by Carbuff; 02-29-2012, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toner View Post
        Put one of the trem posts in about halfway so you can pull out the anchor, secure the body, use something to gently pry inside the post hole (you'll need some leverage) to spread the crack slightly and let some tite bond flow down into the crack if possible, it WILL get worse with floyd and string tension, I had a Ibanez S split like that and it was F'd until it was glued and clamped back.

You may be able to do it if you screw the post in and put pressure on it sideways.

Does the crack go all the way through the body to the spring cavity? It so, The OTHER option is to drill some holes clean through and glue some dowel rods through to bond it (dowel rod of wood at least the strength of the wood the guitar is made out of, no soft crap). I've fixed split set neck joints that way and they have held up with the tension of 12-56 tuned drop C......

Have Fun!!!
        I couldn't get the treble side anchor to budge. I did get the bass side to come out so I reseated it with some glue. As for the crack, see the pic below - it goes down just into the white.

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
        I would scrap that body and look for something on ebay.
        I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. With what I spent on pots already, adding a body would double the cost of this project. If it comes down to it, I'll keep searching for a cheap body but for now I'd like to see where this goes.

Comment

Working...
        X