JT500... Ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT500... Ugh

I recently got a Jackson Performer PS2 and it came equiped with a JT500 tremolo and I can honestly say it's terrible. Is there anything I can do to avoid the horrors of using this thing w/o blocking it off? I was thinking about putting an Edge trem on it, my buddy has one knocking around in his guitar junk pile. Would there be any major changes I would have to make if I do install an edge on my guitar?

It's so bad that I have to tune my guitar regularly even with it blocked off. I would like to have the ability to divebomb and make silly trem noises again. If anybody has any suggestions I'm happy to listen.

Hmm, you'd really be "polishing the turd". Can you swing another, better guitar? Like a toothpaste Charvel? Most of those have JT-590s and are around 3-4 bills.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Lol I Love my Ps2 and atm no I'm lacking funds for a new guitar. What's wrong with the guitar I already have? I only paid 170 and it's one of the nicest playing guitars I own, My other only real complaint is it has 24 frets and I'm more comfortable with 22.

Also I'm wiring a Dimarzio Super 3 in it tomorrow hopefully if it comes.

Comment

No doubt that the jt 500 is a crappy trem. OK, at first, but it wears out quickly if used a lot. I find it interesting that the guitar still goes out of tune with the trem blocked. That would leave me to look elsewhere for a problem too. Is the locking nut working? Maybe the blocks are installed sideways rendering them ineffective?. I think the edge will work if it fits in the trem rout and has the right size block. Most of them came off recessed trem guitars and so is the ps2 so I think youre ok in that dept. I think theres a jt580 in my ps2 these days, I dunno, its been in its case for a while. Id have to dig it out to check.

Comment

I have a PS2 I am currently working on and planned on getting a floyd rose special for it. AZguitarparts.com has them for a better price than fleabay sellers!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            No doubt that the jt 500 is a crappy trem. OK, at first, but it wears out quickly if used a lot. I find it interesting that the guitar still goes out of tune with the trem blocked. That would leave me to look elsewhere for a problem too. Is the locking nut working? Maybe the blocks are installed sideways rendering them ineffective?. I think the edge will work if it fits in the trem rout and has the right size block. Most of them came off recessed trem guitars and so is the ps2 so I think youre ok in that dept. I think theres a jt580 in my ps2 these days, I dunno, its been in its case for a while. Id have to dig it out to check.
            I have the nut blocks in the same direction as an ofr. If they need to be the opposite way which is how the guitar came to me i'll put them back the way they came. I wasn't sure about it because the guitar came used, the nut is in good shape from what I can see nothing is stripped and it has minimal wear. The nut blocks show a bit more ware but in both directions so really I cannot tell from that.

Comment

Are the string saddles loose?If it goes out of tune just playing it look there.May need to be tightened.
              Did you stretch the strings properly after you put them on?
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Tune the guitar and lock the nut. Make sure it is still in tune. While the nut is locked, loosen the machine heads a little. If it falls out of tune, you have a nut problem. The "peak" on your string clamps should run parrallel with the strings.
                Matt

Fender,Charvel and Jackson Guitars..........What more do you need

Comment

If the saddles blocks are toast it'll fall out of tune easy. Replace those, hey are a pretty cheap place to start. I have a jt500 on my ps4 and it never goes pit pf tune but it was also a case queen until I got it. If you can find a 590 it'll fit right in but I honestly think domething else is going on. Make sure every screw on the guitar is tight.
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

I have gone over the trem and replaced the locks on the nuts, it's still falling out of tune pretty fast, will a floyd rose special drop right into it?

Comment

Originally posted by unclesprinter View Post
                      I have gone over the trem and replaced the locks on the nuts, it's still falling out of tune pretty fast, will a floyd rose special drop right into it?
                      No... a JT-500 is the same as a Schaller or JT-590, not a Floyd Rose. They have the short string lock bolts.
                      The Floyd Rose Special has the long bolts and they will hit the body when you pull up.

Sounds like the knife edges on the trem are possibly worn or have flat spots.
                      Your trem springs could be crap too.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        No... a JT-500 is the same as a Schaller or JT-590, not a Floyd Rose. They have the short string lock bolts.
                        The Floyd Rose Special has the long bolts and they will hit the body when you pull up.

Sounds like the knife edges on the trem are possibly worn or have flat spots.
                        Your trem springs could be crap too.

What would be the best possible solution for the problem I'm having? I currently have my trem blocked off, but that's what I would do to my new trem too. I wanted the lockin system because I have never had one before and I liked the idea of tuning my guitar once a month lol.

Comment

Just buy a used Schaller trem for it, you can find them from $50-75. Direct replacement and youll never have to worry about it again.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                            Just buy a used Schaller trem for it, you can find them from $50-75. Direct replacement and youll never have to worry about it again.
                            May take a while to find one that cheap. I looked for quite a while and finally settled for a Gibson logo'd one for $65 shipped.
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                            X