Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find Jackson J200-size pickup cover? (or new J200)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find Jackson J200-size pickup cover? (or new J200)

Hi! I have a J200 pickup (1990 Japan Pro, black raised letters) that I had to carve and chip out of it's epoxy to get to the coils to fix, pretty much mutilating the pickup cover part (I'll bet your didn't even know you could get inside of them once they are filled with epoxy!). Now I need a new pickup cover. I'm pretty sure this is the exact size cover that was on my JSX-94. I've gone to three guitar shops here that specialized in repairs and have deep bins of parts, and came up with nothing. They are tall because of the double-winding bucker in a single coil.
    Also, I've seen J200 sold pretty cheap (like I just missed an eBay of one for $10!), I would take one out of anyone's parts bin too!
    Thx for any pointers!

I think you would be better off buying a J200 full pickup. I think to separate them, you have to mangle them, so I don't know that you will find just a cover in good shape.

I sent a Jackson with 2 J200s to a shop to have a paint job done. They painted all the pickup covers, but warned me that the humbucker could be taken out of the cover if I needed to change it, but the J200s could not be removed from the covers if the pickups ever went bad because of how they were sealed together. This was a shop that at the time did all of Jackson's custom shop paint work, and had a direct line to Jackson for information.

So there might be a way to get them apart cleanly, but it doesn't sound likely that you will find an intact cover by itself.

Comment

I'm just looking for something the same size, it doesn't have to be a pickup cover taken from an actual J200 (as I demonstrated to myself, that would be pretty impossible). There must be some Jackson's that have real pickup covers, or somewhere that sells a pickup cover the same size, right? (USA) Of course if it said Jackson that would be better, but the problem is the J200 is taller and narrower than a normal F-sized single coil pickup cover. I don't see anybody offering J200's in the classifieds or I'd be all over it.
      Last edited by harby; 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. I don't know of any replacement covers that fit, but they may be out there.

I'm sure you are already, but I would just keep trolling eBay for a J200. They come up there quite a bit, the trick is finding one that isn't crazy pricing...

Comment

I ended up getting a Seymour Duncan li'l screamin' demon for the neck pickup. Not ideal as I would have liked to have kept the guitar stock, but it has about the same 13k but higher output.

Comment

I've got a non working J200 with the raised Jackson lettering. Is this something you're still interested in?

Comment

Working...
            X