Need quick tips on spotting fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need quick tips on spotting fake

Tomorrow hopefully I am going to buy a Jackson Dk2[well that's my first option]. I need some quick tips in spotting fakes if any are any such tips and possibly any help in decoding serial numbers and knowing if it's Japanese or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I promise I will put up pictures in the forum if I end up buying it .
    Btw I did not want to include spoilers but here goes. It's a green swirl finish and I haven't seen a dk2 with green swirl a lot so yeah that is what made me ask for any tips to know if its fake or not. Wish me luck guys, have been waiting for ages to get myself a real dk2 but they are so damn hard to find in my country.

I don't know that there's really that much of a market for faking Dinkys... But here's what it should look like.. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...%3Disch&itbs=1
    I think all stock DK2's are MIJ, Flat top body, 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, HSS (Duncans, or the older ones could be Duncan Designed), JT580LP tremolo, 1 vol, 1 tone, 5 way switch.. Hope it helps..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Japanese should have a 9 as the first number.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Japanese should have a 9 as the first number.
        ...and be 7 digits long.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ok I have bought the DK2. Black shiny back plate with 7 digit serial number starting with 9. Seymore Duncan pickups (S-S-H)...Will upload the pictures as soon as I can align and set it up. And speaking of that it was my first floyd and I didnt know it would be too complicated so I ignored the importance of getting it set up at the shop. Now after coming home I realise there is too much buzz around the 12th fret. It's aligned to E but I wish I could get the buzz fixed myself as that shop is really far from my home. If anyone has any quicks tips on how to fix the buzz let me know and I'll put the picture up as fast as possible. Apart from the buzz everything is great and neck is awesome

Comment

AWESOME!!! Glad you got your DK2! and glad its not a fake.

I was thinking of buying an argyle sweater, but had similar concerns about fakes on the market.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
              I don't know that there's really that much of a market for faking Dinkys... But here's what it should look like.. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...%3Disch&itbs=1
              I think all stock DK2's are MIJ, Flat top body, 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, HSS (Duncans, or the older ones could be Duncan Designed), JT580LP tremolo, 1 vol, 1 tone, 5 way switch.. Hope it helps..

Faking import Jacksons would be sort of like faking Harmony guitars. If you are going to go thru the trouble of faking a guitar why not fake the higher end models and maximize the profit. :-)
              2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
              Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Oh, there are fake import Jacksons. i'm not giving the website name, but it's loaded with fake Dean, Ibanez, and Charvel... all kinds. They are even FAKING Epiphone ZW's!!!!! Faking a lower priced guitar is easy because people ask less questions.

Btw, I recently had a fake Steinberger complete with fake EMG's (they were passive and had silver EMG covers) come into my shop.

Comment

Working...
                X