NGD: KVXMG - Snow White (large pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: KVXMG - Snow White (large pics)

Yesterday UPS came knocking on my door. I open, and receive a big brown box. Inside the big brown box was... another brown box.

When I got done unboxing everything, a snow white KVXMG showed itself.

I expected this to be very light-weight, like previous reports of the new X-series guitars. I played an RRXT in Kawasabi at the local music store, and it was extremely light. This KVXMG however, is not light-weight at all. And I love it. It feels really solid when you pick it up, and I was so relieved/happy to find that the balance of the guitar is absolutely perfect for me. No neck-diving whatsoever.

I don't have anything to weigh it with, but as some kind of reference I can mention that the label on the box said 12 lbs. There was no hard case. Just two boxes, some styrofoam to support the neck and edges of the guitar, and some plastic sealed "air bubbles".

This leads me to wonder if the body is made of something else than basswood? Sure, the Floyd package weighs a little, but not THAT much... or? What do you guys think? Or perhaps it's just me being stupid in expecting that basswood=light is some kind of universal truth?

On to the build quality then. This has got to be the most bang for the buck brand new guitar I've had for a long time... considering the price point of these instruments.

I made a little comparison (somewhat unfair) to my CS Warrior. Naturally the Warrior is a better build, that goes without saying. But when considering the difference in price between the two, I can't help but feel that the KVXMG is awesome! The Warrior is insanely nice in every aspect, the attention to detail when it comes to the fret job and so on.

Actually the only thing that I've noticed so far that could've been a little better (again, bearing in mind the cost of the guitar) is the edges of the frets. But this is comparing it to a guitar that costs several thousands of Dollars more.

The binding is really good, but sure, there are some grooves from filing. The paint job looks stellar. It's actually a really nice slab of rosewood with a clean inlay job. The neck looks straight, and with new strings and a proper setup, I'm hoping that this will play just as nice as it looks! The plan is to take the Floyd apart and use a brass block instead of the zinc one.

All in all, first impressions are that it's a hell of a guitar for the money! I jammed half an hour on it last night, and it sounded really good, with surprisingly good sustain. Of course, considering that has an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck, and me playing it through a 15 Watt Line6 Spider IV, conditions weren't optimum to hear all its tonal qualities. And it fit like a glove in the new V-style SKB case.

I agree with the sticker on the back of the headstock:

In the coming weeks I will get it properly set up and take to rehearsals, and get back with an update!

*Edit: Bandwidth limit exceeded for pics, so I uploaded them again.
    Last edited by Anders; 08-30-2012, 12:41 AM. Reason: Bandwidth exceeded again.
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Congrats, Anders! Good to see you back. That's a nice slab of dark rosewood.
    As far as basswood, well, sometimes it can be heavy, the same as with some of the poplar they used back in the day.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow. Look at those frets!! Congrats!!
      Sam

Comment

Yup, basswood can be heavy! I have a model 2 that weighs a ton!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Unreal, i've been trying to land one in Kawasabi, no luck yet.

Congratulations, she is a beautiful bit of kit.

Comment

Very cool! I've been impressed with these guitars as well. My SLSXMG is great for the money ($500). It looks like your V has a better finish than mine. How's the binding though?

Comment

LOVE IT!!!

I wanna get me one of those, too! (And paint the bevels black... )

Comment

NICE!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Gorgeous, I plan on getting the same, in the same finish.

And btw, my Ibanez RG (Basswood, with Quilted Sapele) weighs the same, if not more, than my DK2M (Alder, with Flamed Maple)
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                      Yup, basswood can be heavy! I have a model 2 that weighs a ton!
                      me too! Must be all that extra wood where the neck pickup rout would be

Congrats Anders. Looks really good. I wonder when we're going to see some of these over here.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Dude thats awesome! Ive been tempted to get one of these since I picked up my KVXTs. This is the perfect color too!! Rock on!
                        - Adam

Comment

Thanks everyone for congratulating, and for clarifying that basswood doesn't necessarily need to be light!

I'm guessing that it'll be a couple of months until all of the new X-series guitars will be readily available everywhere. If I understood correctly, there were only 16 Snow White KVXMG's coming to the central warehouse in Holland (which serves all of Europe I think) in this first shipment, with another shipment coming last week of January.

One other thing that's actually pretty awesome is that they come stock with Dunlop Straploks... I swapped mine for Schaller, since I use Schaller on all my other guitars. But anyway, I think that's an awesome feature. I've never bought a new guitar that came with anything else than standard strap buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                            Very cool! I've been impressed with these guitars as well. My SLSXMG is great for the money ($500). It looks like your V has a better finish than mine. How's the binding though?
                            Yeah the finish is really nice, evenly sprayed and nothing to complain about really. Except for one tiny mark on the back of the headstock, that seems to come from perhaps a bit careless handling at the factory. It's not a dent or nick, just some weird imperfection in the finish. Sure, the binding isn't flawless, but it's nice and even in thickness. However, they've been going wild with the fret files, leaving grooves in the binding on quite a few spots.

Have you gotten your guitar set up just the way you want it? How's it feel now that you have played it a while? I'm gonna copy you and get an OFR bar as well!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Congrats, Anders! Good to see you back. That's a nice slab of dark rosewood.
                              As far as basswood, well, sometimes it can be heavy, the same as with some of the poplar they used back in the day.
                              Good to see you too Joe! Btw, isn't poplar and basswood quite similar? I think I remember reading that years ago...

Comment

Working...
                              X