NGD: Another SLSXMG (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Another SLSXMG (Pic Heavy)

Firstly, I apologize for the low quality images (I was trying to show the flaws in the binding, but I don't think you can really see it). My cell phone is all I have to take pictures with, and it isn't exactly new. Overall the finish seems to be of slightly lower quality than my DXMG, however, the neck through construction is a major plus.

First impressions:

Finish - I'll start with the most disappointing part. There are numerous slight paint defects, nothing major, but noticeable under close inspection. The binding is very cheap looking. The material must be very thin because you can see the rosewood of the fretboard through it near the edge. The body binding (which I think is silly... since the guitar is already white) also suffers from similar problems at the edges. Near the higher frets on mine, the binding also appears to be chewed up (bad phrasing I guess), not sure if the fretting machine caused this.

Body - I dig the SLS shape, especially now that it comes with a floyd. Some of the routing seems shoddy though. The trem route has some rough edges. The cavities also seem rough (though these are hidden)

Neck - Feels comfortable. Thicker than my DXMG and thinner than my SL2H. There is a defect here as well though, a bulge near where the neck meets the body.

Hardware - Your standard import stuff. I'll see how the floyd special holds up. You'll notice I have a pic of the bar that comes with it. The collar is plastic... not gonna hold up, plus it is really wiggly in the shaft (heh). Luckily I had an OFR bar lying around.

Electronics - I have no experience with active pups, but they seem good (I mean, you either like or hate EMGs). The pots aren't stratchy, but the tone pot has uneven resistance when turned. The wiring seems solid... but this does not have the full EMG solderless system which surprised me.

Fretboard - It does have a really nice piece of rosewood, they didn't skimp here. The frets also seem to be well done, no bad spots that I can find. Although, after a good setup I'll know more.

Overall this seems like a solid gutiar for the money (especially since I got $100 off due to a GC coupon). The blemishes in the finish and the cheap binding detract a bit from it though.

2/14/12 Edit:

Ok, finally some non-shittastic pics. I swapped in some white blackouts too. Still liking it.

Last edited by groverj3; 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM.

I'll continue the review once it is set up. Maybe even post a video of it in action this weekend.

Comment

Looks killer man, post a vid so we can hear some tones!

Comment

After spending most of the night setting it up and tuning down to D standard I can say that this is very much a keeper. Action is low, comparable with my SL2H until you get to about the 15th fret. The floyd special stays in tune just fine from what I can tell, and using a real floyd bar helped the wiggle problem.

Amazingly the intonation was pretty much spot on with 11s on it down a whole step. The low D and high D strings were a few cents off pitch at the 12th fret when compared to open or a harmonic... but I lack the motivation to fix it when it's that close. No shims needed under the nut or anything like that. All around this is a great playing axe! I'm blown away by how little I needed to do to it to make it a player.

Thinking I might spring for some blackouts and throw the EMGs in my DXMG (which will go down to C). If I have time this weekend I will make a stop in at the parents' on my way down to Indy for the Big Ten championship game (Go Green!) and record some stuff for you guys.

Comment

Spent some more time playing it and the binding being messed up near the higher frets is bothering me more than I thought it would. I'm thinking about taking it back and seeing if they'll order me another. However, since it took this long to get one I'm on the fence.

Definitely a great playing guitar though, despite the minor cosmetic issues.

Comment

If the frets are good, I'd keep it as most of these guitars will likely have some cosmetic flaws. The next one you get might not have as good a fret job.

Comment

It's hard to tell in the pics, but you should be able to take a high grit sandpaper and clean up the binding around the trouble spots. I would definitely keep it if you like everything else about it (especially since it sounds like you got a good deal)

Comment

I'll take some higher quality pictures tonight. You can't really tell anything from the ones I posted. My cell phone's camera is worse than I thought. The frets are good and electronics too. I guess it would be silly to get rid of it because of the cosmetic issues. Maybe I can touch up the clear on the binding myself. On a guitar in this price range I expect some slight defects. However, it is disappointing that the binding is so rough. Perhaps I was just unlucky. The rest are very minor and are the kind you would expect on an instrument in this price range.

The playability is there though, 100%. The best feeling lower to mid range guitar I've ever played. I'll update when I take some better pics and maybe a video. Don't take my whining as a sign that these are not good instruments, I'm really picky .
                Last edited by groverj3; 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

looks pretty awsum

Comment

Well, I was fully intending to take some more pictures and record a video of this before I left for Indianapolis. It didn't happen though since I was in a hurry to get down there, and I didn't get back until 3am. I'll try and post some more useful pics though soon.

Comment

New pics finally up in OP. Swapped in blackouts!

Comment

Working...
                      X