NGD: Jackson Soloist SLXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Jackson Soloist SLXT

I've been wanting to try out one of the new fixed-bridge SLXT Soloists since they came out last month or so, and Foxes Music here in the DC area just got one in stock--which happened to be in the Kawasabi Green finish I've been drooling over. I couldn't resist picking it up. Here are some crappy iPhone pics:

Note: the last photo shows the only finish flaw I was able to find. A little bit of green overspray on the treble side of the nut.

BTW, the Kawasabi Green finish is way better than in the stock photos Jackson uses. It's much more neon in person and really pops. I love it!

Overall, this is a nice guitar for the money. I wasn't expecting much before I picked it up at the store, but it's closer to the quality of the Japanese Jacksons than you'd think.

Two things give away that it has basswood wings instead of alder or poplar. First, it is incredibly lightweight compared to my other Soloists. Second, there is just that little bit of top end "spank" that isn't there--and that's before plugging it in. However, the low-end chug is all there, without any of the flub or thinness that I associate with basswood bodies. It sounds like a Soloist.

Also, they *nailed* the classic Jackson neck carve. That was what I figured would be different, since the older Indian-made Jacksons I've played usually didn't feel right. Not this one. The neck feels exactly like my '88 USA Soloist. Slightly thicker than the average Jackson neck, but certainly within the range of the various ones I've owned.

Hardware is a mixed bag. It has a Tonepros bridge, which I approve of, as well as the standard straplocks. The tuners are the only crap (non-electronic) hardware on it. They are substantially below the quality I see on the Japanese Jacksons. Schaller locking tuners are in order.

Fit and finish is about medium quality, I would say. Besides the little overspray thingy, the fretwork is not quite up to top Jackson standards. They are smooth and well-crowned, but slightly non-level on the high E string in a couple spots. Also, the fret ends could be a little smoother and rounded. I've play Japanese (and USA) Jacksons that were worse, though.

It's worth noting that the frets are the typical humongous Jackson ones. I was worried they'd be smaller, like you see on the cheapo LTDs, but not the case.

The only other flaw on the guitar is that the nut slots are not cut low enough, particularly on the bass side. This is a very common problem on low-end guitars. I'll take it to my trusty repair guy to have that fixed, along with a little work on the leveling. It just needs a little bit of TLC to make it a great player, though.

The EMG-Hz pickups are crap, but that's nothing new. To me, they're just placeholders until I can install some real pickups. Probably bright green ones.

The guitar is very resonant with no dead spots on the neck. With a little fine-tuning to the action and better pickups installed, this model could easily become someone's main player. I got it primarily for rhythm work on my recordings, since I've been using various tunings lately and want something non-Floydy for that.

One other note: headstock size. The headstock on this one is not any longer than any of my other Jacksons ('85 & '88 USA Soloists, '90 Soloist Pro, and '90 Fusion Pro), but it is wider than on any of them. That's what makes it look substantially bigger. Doesn't bother me, though.

I was a bit frustrated awhile back because most of the early reviews of the XT series were from people who were either new to Jackson or had only owned the JS series or other ultra-cheapies. I'm a long-time Jackson guy who's owned tons of USA and Japanese ones. I can say with some authority that these guitars are real Jacksons, and not bad imitations. At these prices, having to put a little TLC into them is no big deal. I think Jackson has a winner, here.

Awesome! Thanks for that! Can't wait to get a couple (if they're that good, then why not?!) of axes from the X-series! The Kawasabi green is f'n killer!!! Congrats!
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Now that is a great NGD review! Thanks for the detail and honest opinion of the quality. Too bad iPhone pics always come out a little dark, but still....I have seen WAY worse pics.
      Congrats! I have been thinking about one of the X Series models and was waiting to get some real honest reviews first.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Yes, excellent review, pro-f! I am glad to hear these are so good, but I had a feeling they would be.

I also like the below perspective.

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
        I'm a long-time Jackson guy who's owned tons of USA and Japanese ones. I can say with some authority that these guitars are real Jacksons, and not bad imitations. At these prices, having to put a little TLC into them is no big deal. I think Jackson has a winner, here.
        Yeah, that headstock does look fat!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for the great review. I am gonna be ordering a RR24XT pretty soon.
          Sam

Comment

Awesome. That looks sweet.. Cant wait till these starting showing up used so i can buy one and "modify" it to more awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
              Awesome. That looks sweet.. Cant wait till these starting showing up used so i can buy one and "modify" it to more awesomeness.
              Why wait for a used one? I got mine brand new for just under $500. It's tough to get even a beat-up Model 6 for that kind of price. I plan to modify mine with different pickups as soon as I get the frets and nut tweaked a little by the local repair guru. These guitars would make a great platform for customization.

Comment

Because pro f my man. My mods are little more extreme. Lol plug the neck pup. Fiber optic side markers ebony board. All that jive. I just like buying used for that lol.

Great way to learn for nut much money

Comment

Ah, I see. Pretty much making a whole new guitar, in other words.

Comment

Holy crap!! I thought they did something to the pics on ebay to brighten that green up... Nope, It glows!! Great review man!! And nice score..
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Just curious, is the Indian factory owned by Jackson now, or is Jackson now paying more attention to the specification details (like the frets you mentioned) on the Indian guitars? Because when I got into Jacksons, 8 years ago, the Indian guitars felt cheap and plain, the same way Korean Ibanez RGs do. In both cases I feel the subcontracters just took their generic guitar model and matched the body shape and headstock, which is fine.
                      Last edited by tanpsi; 11-11-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

that colour is lurid! My retinas!

looks awesome, man. Just showed my son, who is now VERY interested in picking one of these up. He's already calculating shipping to Oz
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Great write-up ProF. I've been wanting to get an string-thru cheapo jackson for a while and your review has been helpful. Thanks so much.

Corpsegrinder88: Like the way you think Amigo!
                          Last edited by GuerillaPete; 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                            Just curious, is the Indian factory owned by Jackson now, or is Jackson now paying more attention to the specification details (like the frets you mentioned) on the Indian guitars? Because when I got into Jacksons, 8 years ago, the Indian guitars felt cheap and plain, the same way Korean Ibanez RGs do. In both cases I feel the subcontracters just took their generic guitar model and matched the body shape and headstock, which is fine.
                            I agree with you about how the earlier Indian-made Jacksons were. This one is really different. It'll be interesting to see if the quality level on these is consistent. That would be my primary concern at this point.

I'm quite sure the Indian factory is independently owned and works under a contract with Jackson, just like Chushin Gakki in Japan does. I'm guessing that Jackson put more effort into making the new X Series the right way, such as by sending U.S. employees over to provide more specific manufacturing details. That's the big reason why the early Japanese Charvels and Jacksons were so good. Several Jackson guys--including Grover and Mike Shannon, I believe--actually went over to Japan to direct the start-up of the Charvel line. They made sure all the little details from the U.S. guitars were carried over. A few years later, they probably thought they'd done too good a job of that.

Comment

BTW, does it glow in the dark?
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X