Tuning problems on non-trem pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning problems on non-trem pro

I have a '91 Soloist Archtop Pro (non-trem with regular pointed headstock). The guitar has not been played for 10 years, and kept in a case. When I tune the top E and B strings, there is a clicking/pinging sounds as the guitar reaches concert pitch. Tuning stability on these strings is poor. No way it could be used live. As I recall, tuning stability has never been great on the guitar (I bought it in 1997) - is this because of the headstock design (there is a sharp break on the high strings from nut to tuning peg)? However, Marty Friedman's KE1 was non-trem with the same headstock and he never complained. The guitar has been well played and probably needs a re-fret to return it to former glory (which would include a new nut). I am hoping this would solve the problem but any insights would be appreciated.

Does the tension of the string decrease right after a click'n ping?
    Could be a broken tuner then...
    You could switch the tuners between the low and high e for example and see if the problem moves to the other string. This would indicate a broken tuner.

I don't know how you put on the strings, but sometimes the windings of the string around the tuner just fall into place once there's some tension, this would result in clicking and pinging as well.

But anyway, it's not because of the pointy headstock.
    it would be a shame for jackson if it was and mine always behaved very smoothly...
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

It's the nut. All of them have done it on me which is one reason I try to avoid a non-Floyded guitar. You get *almost there* and "ping" suddenly you're at F instead of E. SO you back it down to Eb, then try it again, and just before you hit dead center on E "ping" it jumps up to F again.

Get some 3-in-1 oil or some Big Bends Nut Sauce. I gotta find the two tubes of Sauce I have around here somewhere or else I'm shipping a few guitars out to be Floyded
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes I get "almost there" and then ping - exactly the problem. One extra large bottle of nut sauce coming up - cheers!

Comment

The problem is your nut slots aren't shaped correctly for the size of strings you are using. They are pinching the strings. I highly suggest taking it to someone who knows nuts or get a book like one from Dan Erlewine that shows how to correctly create a nut slot. Or you can replace the nut with one of a hard slippery material. Nylon (6/6 or 4/6) or bone are good choice used on the highest end Les Pauls.

And as an FYI, a lot of people with traditional nuts complain about this problem. Just like Matt said, Floyds and locking nuts and bridges are the way to go.

Comment

The problem is its not a floyd. Damn I hate non-floyd guitars for that reason. Anything else is obsolete imo.

Comment

It is common on non floyd equipped guitars.The problem is the nut slots.The wound strings are binding in the nut slot take some 1000 grit sandpaper and polish the nut slots that should help.Big Bends works great after you fix the problem.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I agree with what is said above about the nut. The nut likely not properly slotted for the strings. I don't think there is a problem with the tuners. I had a similar problem with a Chandler neck (also a pointy headstock) on a home build. It pinged like crazy with modest bends and drove me nuts for years. Then, I took it to a luthier who changed the nut and it plays in tune like a champ.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

+1 on the Nut Sauce. Thats what I use. I seem to have the most problem with my Alvarez which has a Fender style nut.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    It is common on non floyd equipped guitars.The problem is the nut slots.The wound strings are binding in the nut slot take some 1000 grit sandpaper and polish the nut slots that should help.Big Bends works great after you fix the problem.
                    Ok, so what if it does it on the plain strings? Can't be catching on the windings on those
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X