Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG Dead Spots

Hi everyone,

i do have some strange kind of problem with my '09 SLSMG.
    When tuned to E standard i recognized a dead spot on the 15th fret (b string, high d).
    The tone sustains normal but after 2-3 seconds the tone rapidly decays/dies.
    Tuned down 1 step, the dead spot moves (according to the downtuning) to the 17th fret.

The strange thing is: I tried 5 different SLSMGs (mine included) over the last two years and every one had this particular dead spot. They all must have been 2009 Models according to their serial numbers.
    Does anybody here has that dead spot too?

When i tuned the guitar one whole step down to D standard, i recognized another dead spot on the "g"-string (12th fret, f). Same here: the tone dies rapidly after 2-3seconds.
    The same tone on the "b"-string (8th fret) just falls into a "harmonic" overtone after 1-2sec or so.

All must be real dead spots, because adding mass to the headstock or different tunings change the position where i can find this bad sustaining spots on the neck.

Any ideas?
    Does it make sense to send it to the distributor (Fender)?

thanks

Since I don't have the tools (or the skills) I would take it to a luthier and have the nut and frets looked at. I had a similar problem with a '96 Les Paul and it came back perfect. I know it's not the best solution because it is not cheap, but that would fix the problem. My understanding is that they even the frets out which makes a perfectly flat surface across the fretboard. If the nut is too high or too low it will exploit any uneven spots on the fretboard, as well.

Comment

Because the dead spot moves along the fretboard, when i tune down the guitar or put some additional mass onto the tuners, i don't think it is a problem caused by uneven frets.

Comment

Originally posted by StealthPro View Post
        Because the dead spot moves along the fretboard, when i tune down the guitar or put some additional mass onto the tuners, i don't think it is a problem caused by uneven frets.
        If the neck looks straight, then my last guess would be a problem with the nut height.

Comment

Originally posted by psychles View Post
          If the neck looks straight, then my last guess would be a problem with the nut height.
          Thanks for your reply. Especially since you are the only one trying to help.
          But as i already mentioned - the dead spot ("dead" frequency in this case) is movable along the fretboard, only by adding some additional mass onto the headstock.
          So i don't think the nut height is the problem.

From my experience, Dead spot can only be moved, but not really fixed?

Comment

Changing the tension on the strings will affect the neck angle slightly with no truss rod adjustment.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I also have a slsmg, moving the saddles forward or back can affect this dead spot your talking about.... I never really bonded with mine, and it rides a case most of the time.
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

yeah, I've seen this happen with the Hellraiser I currently have. It is indeed caused by uneven frets. the trick is, finding the perfect bow for the neck. If you're not too scared of adjusting the truss rod, I'd say loosen it a little. a quarter turn counter-clockwise and it should give enough bow to relieve the issue. If it doesn't fix the issue, wait for a little while - 10 - 15 mins and loosen by another quarter turn.
                Sam

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Things i tried but didn't help:
                  - Loosen and tighten the truss rod to be sure the truss rod isn't "locked" anyway
                  - Loosen the truss rod to give the neck a bow or/and highten (does this word exist?*g*) the Bridge -> i tried different setups from just a slightly higher action to unplayable (full released truss rod and/or very high Bridge-setting)
                  - Checked the Bridge if there are any bad tensions
                  - changed strings (brand and gauge)
                  - lowered the pickups

The tone isn't completely dead at the spots. It sustains normal for 2-3seconds and then rapidly dies.
                  Maybe the word dead spot is the wrong translation for that phenomen?
                  It seems like it is really caused by the guitars resonance frequency of the guitar construction.

As i described: If i don't do any changes, but putting some magnets (i don't know how heavy they are exactly)onto the tuners, the short sustaining tone isn't any longer the d on the b-string
                  as it moves to c.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                    I also have a slsmg, moving the saddles forward or back can affect this dead spot your talking about.... I never really bonded with mine, and it rides a case most of the time.
                    Does your SLSMG have Dead Spot too?
                    As much as i like the look of it, otherwise i am really more and more disappointed by that guitar.

Comment

Did you try widening the nut slots for the strings that are giving you a problem? Before doing that, try some pencil's lead shavings in the nut slots to improve lubrication. How about reversing the bridge saddle for these offending strings?
                      Sam

Comment

StealthPro, I just checked out my SLSMG and ran the same tests and I too notice the decay in the notes particularly with the 15th fret "D" note on the b string on my SLSMG. I tested it one step further and decided to do a full step bend at the 13th fret and bend the "C" up to the "D". The note decayed the same way. But when I did a full step bend at fret 15, the "E" note did not decay nearly as quickly.

So does this suggest can't it can't be an uneven fret or nut issue when I'm finding that the b string 15th fret "D" note in particular is decaying quickier than most other notes despite the fact that I'm not even using fret 15 when I bend up to the note?

Regardless, this is an odd issue. But one that doesn't surprise me a whole lot considering that when I got the guitar shipped to me, it buzzed horribly due to nut slots cut way too low. I later took it to a tech who installed a bone nut and set the guitar up very well.

Despite the fact that I'm ranting about my own troubles with the SLSMG, does a new nut on mine that was measured, hand cut, etc. by a professional tech rule out that maybe the nut could be causing the note decay as well?

Comment

What pick ups are you using?Active EMG's always seem to give out "ghost"readings when doing an intonation.
                          Most of the time I find these "ghost" harmonics at the 7th and 12th frets.Plus same as you I found the decay very inconsistent could be an inherent problem with EMG pick ups.The moving I would think is due to string tension and the change in the bow of the neck not a mass issue.
                          I did a set up on an SLSMG after installing passive pick ups and had no problems.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by StealthPro View Post
                            Does your SLSMG have Dead Spot too?
                            As much as i like the look of it, otherwise i am really more and more disappointed by that guitar.
                            I don't have access to it right now, another story altogether.... I remember having intonation issues with it, and could never get it 'right'. They were minor BUT, some stuff just bugs ya.
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              What pick ups are you using?Active EMG's always seem to give out "ghost"readings when doing an intonation.
                              Most of the time I find these "ghost" harmonics at the 7th and 12th frets.Plus same as you I found the decay very inconsistent could be an inherent problem with EMG pick ups.The moving I would think is due to string tension and the change in the bow of the neck not a mass issue.
                              I did a set up on an SLSMG after installing passive pick ups and had no problems.
                              On my guitar, I'm using active EMG's. It came shipped with the 81/85 set, but I swapped the 85 into the bridge.

I too am guessing that it's the pickups causing an inconsistent decay/harmonic response. Maybe something about active EMG's does not co-operate with the Mahogany used for the SLSMG, or the less amount of wood that is used on the guitar. Either way, I think it's most definitely a resonance/frequency issue caused by the EMG's.

Personally, I've wanted to change my pickups for a while and this gives me another reason to do so. However due to the lack of wood already on the guitar, I'm in no rush to rout out more wood out of the body to install new pots for Seymour Duncans so I'm kind of stuck, lol
                              Last edited by Total_Annihilation; 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X