Rhoads Pro Vs RR5FR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads Pro Vs RR5FR

Sorry if this has been covered before, I used the search and didn't find much of anything.
    What I'm wanting to know is how much the RR5 differs from the 90s Rhoads pro. If the new RR5 has bindings then other than the bridge, rosewood board, and pups is different? How's the quality compare? How about to a new USA? If you had a RR5 and a Rhoads pro side by side with same parts which would you pick?

Thanks
    1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
    BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
    82-84 Burny LPC
    90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
    06 Dean CFH x2
    11 Dean Rebel Custom
    06 Dean DOFlame
    09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
    Dean D100 Dime amp
    Eleven Rack
    79 Furman PQ6
    Peavey 6505+

Most would tend to the pro for the ebony board. If the RR5FR is bound there really isn't much difference to be honest. Made in the same building to almost the same specs. The USA one will be better than both Japanese models in overall build quality and probably wood selection as well. It's up to you to decide if the price difference adds the value or not. For me, the price of my USA Rhoads is worth the premium compared to an RR5 I had for a short while. Better fretwork, better hardware components, better sound both acoustically and plugged in, better sustain.

That said the RR5 was a very nice guitar, I just wanted better than nice.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks, if I start seeing them with bindings I'll really think about getting one, if there's no Pro's for sale at the moment.
      82-84 Burny LPC
      90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
      06 Dean CFH x2
      11 Dean Rebel Custom
      06 Dean DOFlame
      09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
      Dean D100 Dime amp
      Eleven Rack
      79 Furman PQ6
      Peavey 6505+

Comment

The new SLAT3-7 I have has better fretwork than the Soloist/Rhoads Pros I've seen, if that helps any, and the fit and finish is really good.
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I have two 1990 Pros, one Soloist and one RR. I also have a 2010 KV5FR and to sum it up:
          The Pros are built like a tank. Their necks feel like steel. The KV5FR feels like a good guitar. I'd go for a Pro ANYTIME but the KV5FR is one great guitar! If you can get the Pro, get it. If not, the RR5 won't disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
            I have two 1990 Pros, one Soloist and one RR. I also have a 2010 KV5FR and to sum it up:
            The Pros are built like a tank. Their necks feel like steel. The KV5FR feels like a good guitar. I'd go for a Pro ANYTIME but the KV5FR is one great guitar! If you can get the Pro, get it. If not, the RR5 won't disappoint.
            Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah the pro just feels like it's made out of solid steel. I feel like I could smash it on the ground and not even dent it (I sure as hell would never try). Now I've used the search many times but is there an official word yet on if the new 5 series will have binding or not? I've seen some rusted bolt KV's with bindings, and 1 rr5 on an ebay store with it as well. Other than that, nothing.
            82-84 Burny LPC
            90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
            06 Dean CFH x2
            11 Dean Rebel Custom
            06 Dean DOFlame
            09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
            Dean D100 Dime amp
            Eleven Rack
            79 Furman PQ6
            Peavey 6505+

Comment

From my understanding, the new models have binding and they're trying to flush out the older models. Wish I had gotten mine just two weeks later. Binding really makes the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                From my understanding, the new models have binding and they're trying to flush out the older models. Wish I had gotten mine just two weeks later. Binding really makes the difference.
                Yeah people have said that, I emailed Jackson about 3 weeks ago and never heard anything back. I looked at some ebay stores and only one place had any with bindings. I think it was beatstreet and it was white with black bevels and gold hardware. All the other finishes didn't, same with the rusted bolt KV5. I would really like some confirmation on this or for Jackson to update their site. If I was a first time Jackson buyer I would never trust their site to help with my decision. Gibson has more detail, more pics, and all that on their low end models than Jackson does with the high ends. Come on Jackson, you build some of the best guitars in the world, why can't you make a decent webpage?
                82-84 Burny LPC
                90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
                06 Dean CFH x2
                11 Dean Rebel Custom
                06 Dean DOFlame
                09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
                Dean D100 Dime amp
                Eleven Rack
                79 Furman PQ6
                Peavey 6505+