PS-4 neck on PS-2 body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-4 neck on PS-2 body?

This can be done, no mods required, right?

Right?
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Both the same neck pocket dimensions, recessed trems, scale and number of frets so 99.9% sure it should be a direct swap with no mods.

Comment

Yep... both necks have the same fret count and heel specs.
      It will fit just fine.
      -Rick

Comment

Yay! Thanks boys. I will see how it goes then.

Comment

Should be fine. I once had a Warrior MG body with a PS-4 neck, and it fit perfect.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I did the swap.

We can file this under "it works, but kinda".

Reason being, the trem height is now about 4mm from top of body, rather than being as it used to be, flush. I got a feeling too that the trem springs could literally pop out at any moment. I have two in there and it used to be stable as hell and give perfect warbles...but the extra height is straining 'em I think. There are actually rubbing on the bottom of the trem cavity, and "scrunching" when I use the trem :¬/

I reckon the PS4 neck must somehow be taller.

(the weird bumps are jewels I stuck on the body)

Also it was a biatch to get on the body, as the holes were not quite in the same position.

Rough play test shows it is at least playable. But I think I may have to put it back to how it was. Trem height is ok, but trem springs rubbing/scrunching is not good. I can't do warbles anymore either.

Comment

Hmmm, weird. The neck pocket might need to be shimmed a little.

Comment

I agree, this is strange. Both are recessed trems right?

Comment

Can you post a couple of pictures of the neck joint?
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Hmmm, weird. The neck pocket might need to be shimmed a little.
                    I agree. If you are being forced to raise the Floyd after the neck swap, it seems a shim at the headstock end of the neck pocket is in order.
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

There might some slight variations from a Japanese built PS2/PS4 guitars and the Korean ones.
                      Post a pic of the electronics cavity route for the PS2 body. If it has a San Dimas looking route, it is MIJ.
                      I'd almost be willing to bet it's Korean.

Korean PS-2

Japanese PS-2

Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-13-2011, 01:19 PM.
                      -Rick

Comment

Yah, My PS2 is Korean, the PS4 is Jap. I shoulda thought that'd create some issues.

It's gonna need a pretty hefty shim I think :¬P

I will post pics for sure, soon.

Comment

Belay my last, in fact belay thus thread. Examined neck joint as prompted above. Neck was poking up by a few mil. That'll teach me to do neck swaps at 1am before work. Now reseated neck (at 1am ish again, lol) all looks ok.

And yes I are a dummy for not checking neck joint before... everything is now a ok. Action fine trem fine. Where the hell is the 'such a frigging idiot' emoticon....

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it sorted!

Comment

I thought I was the only one that worked on my stuff late at night or early in the morning. Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                              X