DKM2 pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKM2 pickups

I'm not happy with my DKM2 Duncan pickups. I use this guitar as my drop-D and metal axe. These pickups just don't have the bite and clarity of, say EMG's, which would be my first choice as replacements. I've had EMG's in the past and they are great for metal but I remember putting an 81 (KH kit) in my1st Jackson and it was too much. I had feedback probs and could only get 1 tone: chainsaw. I haven't had an 81 since (late 90's) and I was wondering if they have improved. I do like the 85's but I'd be willing to get an 81/85, like a Zakk kit. Anyone have suggestions for EMG's in my DKM2? I want higher output with clarity, bite, edge, but no excessive fb.

BTW - I don't remember what Duncans come stock on the DK2M's. I know it's 2 models. Shed some light for me.

I've never tried on in a DK2, but I like DiMarzio X2N's for my RR's.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
      BTW - I don't remember what Duncans come stock on the DK2M's. I know it's 2 models. Shed some light for me.
      JB Bridge, Jazz Neck.
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

If your first Jackson was the same as the DK2M, the results with EMG's will likely be the same. EMG's are pretty consistant and don't change much if at all through the years. So the only changes would be with the guitar itself.

Are you sure the EMG's were wired correctly in that 1st guitar? Sounds like something not right. Did you use the EMG pots and caps?

I'm more of a passive pickup guy but I have 3 EMG loaded axes and they all sound good to me.

Comment

Brain fade

I got to thinking and I forgot that I DID have problem with the 81. Sorry my facts were incomplete. It's been a long time.
          I had the KH kit professionally installed in a cheap Dinky RevPro. Those Made in India guitars sold by MF. It was my 1st Jackson and all I could afford back then. My tech guy said the pickup went microphonic and had to send it back to EMG for a warranty replacement. I had him put in a 85 to get me running again and he kept the new 81 when it came in. The 85 was perfect.

I'd take a chance on a 81/85 kit if someone here who has that setup in a DK2M could give me review.

Comment

I've got the 81/85 set in my Ke3 and its pretty awesome great metal tone and no problems with fb.

Also i just put a Bare knuckle Warpig in my Soloist Xl and that thing screams, everything is so tight. If money aint too much of a problem i'd look into them.
            Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
            Charvel Predator (Firecrackle)
            Jackson Ke3 (Purple)
            Jackson XL Soloist (Black)
            Fender Deluxe Players Strat (White)
            Yamaha APX 700 Acoustic (Cherry Burst)

Comment

A lot of people are happier with the 81 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge.
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Indeed

an 81 by itself, or fitted with another 81 or 60 neck p'up doesn't sound half bad, but combined with an 85 in the neck it's underpowered
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Conzo8 View Post
                  Also i just put a Bare knuckle Warpig in my Soloist Xl and that thing screams, everything is so tight. If money aint too much of a problem i'd look into them.
                  +1 for BKP

I have BKP Painkiller in my SL3 and I like it very much. Tight and crunchy.

I`ve heard a lot of praise for Warpigs. I`ll give it a shot in my next guitar for sure.
                  Jackson Soloist SL1
                  Jackson Soloist SL3 - SD TB-5

Caparison TAT
                  ESP M-II

ENGL Savage SE
                  ENGL E570 SE preamp

Bogner 4x12 (V30's)

Comment

Working...
                  X