Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR7, DR7T, and DX7

Hey everyone!

The other day I played my friends COW 7 string, and I loved the thing, except for the TOM and single pickup. I've heard of the old Dinky 7 strings, and my buddy had a DX7 before which I liked a good amount, but I need more information before I can set my heart on an introductory 7 string.

I figured making a list would be a lot easier than typing a giant paragraph, but for some reason I still feel guilty for doing it. Oh well Here are my infinite questions:
    1. Mainly, how can you tell the difference between a DR7 and a DX7 by few pictures?
    2. What's the difference between the DR7/DR7T and the DX7? (I mainly mean spec wise here, but ANY info would help)
    3. Does the DX7 have a Floyd Rose counter part?
    4. (Kind of related to question 2): What are the specs of each? (I tried searching Audiozone and the pages were extremely difficult to read).
    5. I assume the DR7/DR7T were made in Japan, though I'm probably wrong, (right Ron? ), and the DX7 was made in India. Is this valid?
    6. Average price point for each.
    7. How do the necks of either the DX7 or DR7 compare to the COW7?
    8. If you had either, what was your opinion on them in general? Should I keep looking for a different 7?

Thank you in advance everyone for any help or answers you can bring to the table.

*Note this is not a WTB ad, it's mainly information so I can set my heart on a lower end 7 string*

from the 2000 catalogue:

DR7
    alder (w/flame maple veneer)
    rock maple bolt-on neck with rosewood
    nut width 1 7/8"
    JT790 tunomatic string-thru bridge
    volume, tone, 3-way toggle
    Duncan Design HB7s, bridge & neck
    satin chrome hardware
    available in Black, Deep Candy Blue, Trans Red, Trans Blue

DR7T
    same specs as the DR7, but with a JT770LP licensed Floyd

DX7
    largely the same specs as the DR7, but with a maple (not rock maple) neck, chrome hardware
    available in Black, Dark Metallic Blue, Dark Metallic Red, Trans Red, Trans Blue, Tobacco Sunburst & Amber Sunburst
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      from the 2000 catalogue:

DR7
      alder (w/flame maple veneer)
      rock maple bolt-on neck with rosewood
      nut width 1 7/8"
      JT790 tunomatic string-thru bridge
      volume, tone, 3-way toggle
      Duncan Design HB7s, bridge & neck
      satin chrome hardware
      available in Black, Deep Candy Blue, Trans Red, Trans Blue

DR7T
      same specs as the DR7, but with a JT770LP licensed Floyd

DX7
      largely the same specs as the DR7, but with a maple (not rock maple) neck, chrome hardware
      available in Black, Dark Metallic Blue, Dark Metallic Red, Trans Red, Trans Blue, Tobacco Sunburst & Amber Sunburst
      That's it for differences eh? Weird :S

Thanks for all the info so far!

Comment

Try to find a KE7R or RR7R!
        http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...2000Page07.jpg

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...2000Page04.jpg
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a hard enough time finding a DR7! :rofl:

Those are REALLY cool and honestly I'd love to get my hands on either.

Comment

Forget them, try to find a 2nd hand Jackson Stars neck-thru SL7, KV7, KE7 or RR7!

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
              Forget them, try to find a 2nd hand Jackson Stars neck-thru SL7, KV7, KE7 or RR7!

DAMN! :shocked:

Do they have floyded counter parts? That's my main concern

Comment

Those were limited edition guitars made for Ikebe-Gakki. They did at least two TOM runs. They did offer an OEM floyd as a CS option (I know 'cause I had a quote for one, but I went with a TOM), so there may be a few out there, but even these are as rare as hen's teeth.

Here's the obligatory old pic of mine (must take some new pics):

Comment

Those were limited edition guitars made for Ikebe-Gakki. They did at least two TOM runs. They did offer an OEM floyd as a CS option (I know 'cause I had a quote for one, but I went with a TOM), so there may be a few out there, but even these are as rare as hen's teeth.

Here's the obligatory old pic of mine (must take some new pics):

I thought to myself, if I can't find a DR7T, what chance will I have of finding any of those Jackson Stars models

Comment

Chances: slim!

They crop up for sale on Japanese sites from time to time. If I see one (and don't grab it myself ), I'll let you know.

They were J2s, by the way, so striped ebony boards and moto inlays. Most were black, but I've seen KE7s in metallic red (wine, really). I custom ordered mine, hence the ebony, reverse MoP sharkfins etc.

Comment

Chances: slim!

They crop up for sale on Japanese sites from time to time. If I see one (and don't grab it myself ), I'll let you know.

They were J2s, by the way, so striped ebony boards and moto inlays. Most were black, but I've seen KE7s in metallic red (wine, really). I custom ordered mine, hence the ebony, reverse MoP sharkfins etc.
                      Unfortunately I might have to just wait it out until I have enough money for a Universe or I find a DR7T or maybe an LTD M-207.

Wish Jackson would bring back the DR7T, hell even just a DK7T would be great, (although now it'd probably be the DR7FR/DK7FR).

Comment

since you don't seem too fussy about it, why not look at the new SLAT3-7?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          since you don't seem too fussy about it, why not look at the new SLAT3-7?
                          I don't like neck through guitars that much. I like bolt on guitars a lot more for the feel and tone.

Also I don't like how they look that much, (SLAT3-7).

Comment

I had a DR7 before but I let it go after 1 gig. The body was shaped weird (shallow horns) and doesn't look so great.

So I traded it for this one:

An RR7R. Notice the hockey stick headstock. It's the same neck as my DR7. 22 frets, no binding.

Well at least they got the logo right...unlike the new SL7s with the little logos.
                            Although i must say i got lucky twice considering the fact that these two are pretty rare and are hard to come by in my part of the world.
                            Last edited by Mass Defect; 03-19-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Actually I think that's a DX7, not a DR7. I've got one in the same color, though mine has shiny chrome, not satin.

At any rate, I had a DR7/DK7 (which one had the Floyd?) a few years ago while waiting for my WR7 to arrive. Liked it a lot better than the DX7. Had more punch thanks to the locking nut (and presumably better wood all around). The DX7's low B seems kinda flubby. I'm thinking it's a combination of the plastic nut and inferior-metal bridge.

Only thing I wasn't fond of was the Floyd itself - seems that you can't just widen the baseplate by one saddle and have it work as smoothly as a 6-string Floyd.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X