KVX10 neck heavy issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVX10 neck heavy issue

OK, I have a TOM KVX10, I love the guitar, plays and sounds fantastic... only one HUGE problem... it has suicidal tendencies and swan dives the second you take your hand off the neck, I've come across at some point someone on the forum finding a fix for this... and help/ advice to make the guitar playable (to me anyway)??
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

I am probably having a brain cramp, but what is TOM? Anywho, with my KVX10, and actually any V I play, I have my right leg out a little further than my left, with a slight bend at the knee and the v slightly straddles my leg. I get zero neck dive. It might seem weird at first, but after doing it for 10 years, I think nothing of it.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Tune-O-Matic bridge,

Comment

TOM= tuneomatic or fixed bridge

Comment

Woah, you're covering the board in neck-dive threads... hold on, I'll get you those photos!
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Ok, so here is the solution part 1:

You can either move the button to the top left screw on the neckplate, or, for whatever reason, do like my tech did and mount it on top of the body in true Les Paul fashion.
            I was kinda surprised when I got it back that way (I expected the neck screw treatment) but it works as long as you use straplocks.

So, that might solve about half of your neckdiving issue.

Now on to part 2 of the solution (sorry for blurry shot):

I folded up a power cord I had lying around and put the strap through it, so it acts as an additional weight to the body. Yeah, total 2-second workaround, but I never bothered to find another solution, because from that moment on the guitar balanced stable and I was happy.
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Thanks a ton, much appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                Tune-O-Matic bridge,
                Wow. Duh. I really was having a brain cramp, lol.
                "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Try this. Look at the 4 screws where the neck screws into the body, if you have the guitar lying on it's front, so the back is facing you, and you have it so that the "Jackson logo" which is engraved on the rectangular metal piece (where the serial number is) is facing right side up, so you can read it, okay, take the screw that is in the top right position and remove it, take it to a hardware store and get one that is slightly longer, screw the strap knob into that hole. No need to drill any additional holes in your guitar or guess at the correct position to drill a hole for balance. Youw ill nee a longer screw because the strap knob takes up some space, look at it and see, you need a screw that is about 1/4" longer, make sure you get a screw with the same threading, bring the screw that you take out of the guitar to the hardware store and have the guy there match the correct screw, you basically want the same screw just 1/4" longer.

I hope this makes sense, I have no camera. But I also have a KVX10 with the TOM bridge, same as yours and this is what I have done. It balances perfectly, 100%. I have no tone issues, or issues with the neck or tuning, nothing, it plays just like my Made In USA KV2T.

Try it and see, you can even try it with the existing screw and then when you get a chance replace it with a longer screw (that's what I did).

Don't drill into your guitar, that's not the solution.

Comment

Drill a hole on the edge of the neck heel between the front neck bolts. This works great with DiMarzio cliplocks because of how narrow they are.

If you mount it to a neck bolt, don't use the top (bass side) one, use the one on the left (treble front). A V should not lay straight out like Buddy Holly's Strat. In fact, no guitar should, unless it's an acoustic, and only then if you're playing C&W.

Vs are supposed to hang at an upward angle like Jimmy Page's Les Paul.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used to have the same problem.
                      I fixed it relocating the strap pin in the neckplate.
                      Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.inc View Post
                        Try this. Look at the 4 screws where the neck screws into the body, if you have the guitar lying on it's front, so the back is facing you, and you have it so that the "Jackson logo" which is engraved on the rectangular metal piece (where the serial number is) is facing right side up, so you can read it, okay, take the screw that is in the top right position and remove it, take it to a hardware store and get one that is slightly longer, screw the strap knob into that hole. No need to drill any additional holes in your guitar or guess at the correct position to drill a hole for balance. Youw ill nee a longer screw because the strap knob takes up some space, look at it and see, you need a screw that is about 1/4" longer, make sure you get a screw with the same threading, bring the screw that you take out of the guitar to the hardware store and have the guy there match the correct screw, you basically want the same screw just 1/4" longer.

I hope this makes sense, I have no camera. But I also have a KVX10 with the TOM bridge, same as yours and this is what I have done. It balances perfectly, 100%. I have no tone issues, or issues with the neck or tuning, nothing, it plays just like my Made In USA KV2T.

Try it and see, you can even try it with the existing screw and then when you get a chance replace it with a longer screw (that's what I did).

Don't drill into your guitar, that's not the solution.
                        +1, I did this on my RR import and it fixed that problem. Plus you don't have to drill any holes
                        Last edited by Sharkfin; 01-23-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

DRILL THE DAMN HOLES DAMMIT!

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by darkerknight View Post
                            I used to have the same problem.
                            I fixed it relocating the strap pin in the neckplate.
                            Problem solved.
                            I did this EXACT same thing and it works perfectly. My logic was "well, my USA KVs have the strap buttons there.. sooo..." and it was simple to do too!
                            - Adam

Comment

Working...
                            X