Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG tuning issues

Hey,
    Just curious if other slsmg owners have similar issues and have they carried out any mods to help the issue.
    My slsmg does not hold tuning well. It's out of tune after every song and sometimes is noticeably out of tune before I'm finished a song.
    I have several guitars (hard tail and floyd) and it isnt really an issue with them.
    The guitar intonation is fine and when I change strings I use pencil lead on the nut.
    I always fancied an slsmg and got a great deal on mine a couple of years ago but I'm tempted to sell it on as it really is starting to bug me.
    Any advice or experiences from other slsmg owners would be great!
    Power chords...what more do you need?!

I'm assuming you're stretching the strings after you tune up/string it?

You can't give it little sissy half-step bends. Bend the fuck out of them - 2 steps or more, then retune. I usually bend them at the 12th or 15th, where it's easiest. Not with your fertting hand, but overhanded with the picking hand. Like you're trying to break it (just don't).

If it still goes out after that, you got a lemon, or a bad set of tuners, or the ferrules in the back are crapping out letting the string suck into them, or the ones on top are collapsing, or you got shit strings that just stretch until they break without ever staying in tune. I usually find these in packages marked "D'Adarrio".
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc.
      I Don't think its the strings as I've tried a few different brands and after playing for the best part of 20 years I think I have the string stretching thing sorted (but you never know). I had searched through some of the older posts on the forum and see that some people have dropped in planet wave tuners on slsmg's so I might give that a go! Any experiences?
      Also I'll take a closer look at the nut to check if it is filed properly.
      I really love the feel of the guitar but I can't be bothered with an instrument that can't hold reasonable tuning.
      Any more advice welcome.

Comment

Sounds like nut issue to me. Try putting little drops of all purpose oil in the string grooves and see it that helps at all.
        Planet waves trimlocks are great tuners. Unfortunately the tabs on 3+3 set don't line up with existing holes on slsmg so you have to drill new ones. Schaller has m6 locking mini tuners that should fit without mods or extra hole drilling.

Comment

I've got Sperzels on my SLS3, and after hanging tuned and unused on the wall for about a month, it was horribly out of tune. The neck was fine - not bowed forward - but then again I've never really had much luck keeping a stringthough/TOM in tune. My one NASL that has a stopbar/TOM combo and pretty much the same woods and phenolic resin nut but non-locking tuners has held its tuning, even after 2 months of inactivity.
          Stopbars work wonders for tuning stability, even with an un-oiled nut.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

slsmg tuning issues

Thanks guys.
            Ok I think I'll have a serious look at the nut first then the tuners after.
            Do you know if the M6 mini tuners are a good swap (i.e. no drilling) or are you just thinking that they are?
            Again thanks. I'll report back with progress.

Comment

They weren't minis. Click on the tuner picture to see the specs.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/schaller_m6...echanik_bc.htm

Gotoh magnum locks are also worth checking out.

http://www.gpdusa.com/Gotoh_Locking_...s_3X3_BLK.html
              Last edited by Kisonen; 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

slsmg

Kisonen,
                You mentioned locking mini tuners in your post.
                Have you modded an slsmg's tuners without redrilling? what did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by EPB View Post
                  Kisonen,
                  You mentioned locking mini tuners in your post.
                  Have you modded an slsmg's tuners without redrilling? what did you use?
                  Read my previous post.

Comment

Working...
                  X