No announcement yet.

Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In addition to possibly seeing the pixles in the pattern, would the photo tops also be lacking the 3D iridescent prismatic effect of natural wood grain?
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
      I thought that the earlier versions were maple veneer, and that the gravure tops didn't show up until around 1996-97 with matching headstocks.
      Hmm, you may be right. The pic above sure looks like a gravure top to me, but I could be wrong.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If it "moves", it should be real wood, unless they found a way to blend that color-shift paint just right back then.

And I've never been fond of those necks - they felt thick and way too wide to me. Thinnest neck I ever saw that Jackson made came on some of the JTX models - thinner than a KV neck, even with a thick polycoat on it.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think the older ones were veneer and the photo came later. I had a 93 xl trans purple and if I remember it looked real. I have a 96 and 97 photo tops and they are very different from the older ones.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Hmm, you may be right. The pic above sure looks like a gravure top to me, but I could be wrong.
            The quilts on most that I saw weren't figured nearly as much as a lot of other brands, definitely not in the same ballpark as something like a PC1, for instance. Same with the trans finish XLs that I remember seeing. On the other hand, the gravure tops looked heavily figured, to the point that if you'd seen a natural quilt top before, they'd look almost too good to be true. Sort of like some MOTO inlays - too consistently figured to be the real thing.

It's hard to tell from the OP's pic, but there was a subtle difference in the burst between the veneer and gravure versions from what little I remember.
            sigpic

Comment

Will post a better pic of this when I get a chance.
              Throw down or fucking bite your own bullet.....

Comment

Working...
              X