Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Archtop Pro

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum (which is very enjoyable) but would like your wisdom on the following:

I own a 1991 Jackson Pro Solist Archtop (non-trem). Does anyone know if the neck is a thru-body or glued in?

Also, any ideas on the value of such a guitar?

Cherry Sunburst, excellent condition and a great guitar - I originally wanted a Charvel 750XL (a true shred monster!) but picked up the Jackson instead.

Photos to follow very soon.

Thanks everyone!

It's a set neck, and nice find. Oh yea, welcome.

Comment

Here's the catalog (page 36) for it.. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppor...91_catalog.pdf
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Thanks - I always thought it was a neck-thru because the heel is so slim.

Being based in the UK, it is hard to find and try some of the top-end rock guitars. I am looking to get one of the following to replace my Solost and would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has tried any of the following - I have included the UK street prices to give a comparative picture:

ESP MII with Seymour Duncans (around £1,200);
        Caparison Horus (around £1,650);
        Suhr Pro Series (around £1,500).

My style is full-on shred (saturated tone in the mould of Gilbert and a baroque Malmsteen technique).

The Capaisons look really interesting but there is only one UK dealer which is a long way away, so would be keen to know if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome 1994. If you don't mind me asking - where is your Soloist Archtop lacking in your quest? Is it the missing trem?
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The Soloist Archtop is a great guitar, but yes I do like a trem. Also, I have owned it for nearly 15 years and would like a change. The back of the neck is painted, where as I prefer an unfinished or satin finished neck (this is me being fussy!).

The tone is a bit too big for my style - similar to a Les Paul or PRS Custom in terms of power and sustain, where as a prefer a slightly thinner tone with more treble (similar to what Jake E Lee achieved with Ozzy in thge mid-80's). The last guitar I bought was an Ibanez which I preferred to a PRS because of the very same difference between the bolt-on, lighter guitars and mahogany, set-neck instruments. So in summary the Soloist does not really have short comings, it is just that my style has changed.

Comment

I fully understand and I even feel the same on some of your preferences. Fussy wanting an unfinished neck? Not at all. There is a big difference, I think.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

For sure. An interesting project would be for me to sand the neck down on this guitar or a 750XL - but due to the rarity of these instruments, I want to keep it all original.

I was offered a Soloist pro standard a few years back - snow white and great condition, but the neck finish was the deal breaker.

Comment

A Suhr or Caparison would be very different as you say to your Soloist.

Any thoughts on Vigier? I have three and they are my "go to" for the type of music you describe. They fall in that price bracket you define. IMO they are the best guitars I have ever played. The necks are lovely, and very "fast feeling".

I have a 750XL with trem but it lives in a case as I don't get on with it too well (neck shape isn't great for me).

I also have a Model 6 where the previous owner sanded off the paint on the neck. Feels lovely now. I can understand why you do not wish to sand back a Soloist Pro though!

I have the same "no Caparison dealer nearby" problem as you (where in UK are you if you do not mind my asking?)

I have heard some less than stellar things about them, but also I have heard some rave reviews. Same with everything. IIRC the guy who started them desgined the Fender HM and some Jacksons? (<--probably mis-remembering?)

I have heard that Caps are closest to Jacksons in feel.
                  Last edited by wanthairspray; 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM.
                  http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I played a Vigier around five years ago - H/S/H configuration with a non-locking trem. Neck was very fast (similar to an Ibanez, but not quite as thin) and Dimarzio loaded - decent guitars, no doubt.

I am based in London, so the Cap dealer in Cardiff is a bit of a trek! As they are quite a departure from the established brands an extended trial in the shop would be essential before buying (also the UK second-hand market is virtually non-existant, so selling could be tricky). The Cap founder was a luthier at the orginial Jackson factory in Japan (I think!).

I have played a Suhr Pro and was surprised - Strat look, but the pickups are hot and the neck is very fast (awesome set-up too with plek technology). They may not look too rock, but they certainly play and sound that way - only negative is that for £1,500 you only get a standard colour and they look like Strat clones.

Comment

Hmm! The only thing I could suggest if you want to try before you buy is to ask on boards like this, the Gear Page, Harmony Central, Music Radar, if any people in UK or nearby you, have a Caparison they'd let you test. I bet someone will say "Sure!".

Suhr are top quality for sure. I had an HM plekked and it plays amazingly...but the Pro Series do look like Start clones. The only guy who knows you're rocking out an awesome rock guitar is you :¬) !

Comment

That is why these forums are so useful, to find out from the experts.

Alas, most stocks only stock PRS as their top-end guitars - unlike in the mid-90's when there was plenty of choice from different manufacturers for pro/luxury guitars.

Have you any thoughts on Carvin guitars?

Comment

Yup, nearest "boo-teek" shop to me is Trevor Durrants and they are major PRS fanboys. Whereas I am not one. I never understood the hype about them. They are a bit "meh" to me.

Never tried a Carvin, but have heard very good things about them (basically a custom shop at good prices).

Comment

The ESP MII in white hits the UK in 10-12 weeks.

I will report back with my thoughts on this guitar, as well as a Cap Horus (I will keep an eye on ebay to see if there is a local second hand model coming up for sale).

As for the Carvins, very good guitars and a plethora of options, but the weak pound is not doing me any favours at the moment!

Comment

Still no joy on a seconhand Caparison! I've been checking EBay and nothing doing in the UK - all US and Japan! Looks like I may face the indignity of buying a Fender Strat at this rate!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X