A miracle has happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A miracle has happened

In my other thread, I posted where I had bought an SLSMG from an E-Bay seller. My kids' schools was closed due to snow/ice today, but the guitar arrived at my work. So I went up there this afternoon to pick it up. A coworker had put it safely behind my desk for me.

So I look behind the desk and there's a rectangular cardboard box with a big "Squier" logo. No big deal, I thought, that's just the external box. So I opened it up. Inside was another cardboard box with the "ESP" logo, not big enough for a hardshell case. Sure enough, they had shipped the SLSMG via UPS with NO CASE.

Believe it or not (as in "call Ripley"). the guitar was totally undamaged!

Here it is at home after my setup. Not the greatest pics.

Now about that case....I checked the auction and, sure enough, there is no mention of a case. I felt like an idiot, but I had assumed that since this is a brand new SLSMG, it would be included. I e-mailed the seller and pointed out that, even though no case was mentioned now that I look, this model ships with an SKB hardshell from Jackson.

So I'm waiting to see what the seller does.

Either way, the guitar rocks. This is one of the best necks I've ever played.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

At least it was double-boxed. I shipped a guitar in a gig bag that way last week, and done properly it can take some hard licks without inflicting any damage.

Sweet fiddle!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      At least it was double-boxed. I shipped a guitar in a gig bag that way last week, and done properly it can take some hard licks without inflicting any damage.

Sweet fiddle!
      Thanks. I assume that it also matters about what style of build the guitar is, like neck-through, bolt-on, etc... I would hate to send an Epiphone like this.

Comment

Most import guitars come without a case, so it's not unusual to get the guitar in just a box. I think Jackson just started sending out imports with cases this past year.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Welcome to the SLS-family. That's a beauty, that one.
          '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
          '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
          '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
          '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
          '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '13 Gibson M-III
          Taylor 214CE
          Dean 6-string Bass
          Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Most import guitars come without a case, so it's not unusual to get the guitar in just a box. I think Jackson just started sending out imports with cases this past year.
            I thought all of the import Soloists (SLSMG, SLS-3, SL3, etc..) came with a hardshell. I know that the SLSMG is currently advertised as coming with an SKB molded hardshell.
            Last edited by PowerTube; 12-14-2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

My SLS3 came with a SKB Case...
              '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
              '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
              '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
              '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
              '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
              '13 Gibson M-III
              Taylor 214CE
              Dean 6-string Bass
              Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Yes, the SL3/SLS/etc. come with a case now but like Toejam said they just started doing that about a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  Yes, the SL3/SLS/etc. come with a case now but like Toejam said they just started doing that about a year ago.
                  This is supposed to be a brand new guitar. I'm waiting to see what the seller does. His e-mail to me sounds encouraging, but I haven't heard back yet.

Comment

Could be NOS... Or could be he is selling the case to you for the low, low price of $139 now that you're asking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                      Could be NOS... Or could be he is selling the case to you for the low, low price of $139 now that you're asking about it.
                      No, he actually messaged me and said that it should have had a case. He also said something like, "We're not Guitar Center and we don't charge extra for accessories. We send whatever it came with."

So we'll see.

Comment

Yeah the hard case would be for models made in the last year. I believe previously it was a gig bag.

I think some couriers are actually more likely to go easy on something that seems flimsily packaged. When it looks like it's indestructible why not just throw it 8 feet off a loading dock into the back?
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          Yeah the hard case would be for models made in the last year. I believe previously it was a gig bag.

I think some couriers are actually more likely to go easy on something that seems flimsily packaged. When it looks like it's indestructible why not just throw it 8 feet off a loading dock into the back?
                          The SLSMG isn't currently offered in Green Swirl, so that may be the situation. I'm really not sure. But at least a gig bag would have been better than nothing.

Comment

Like I said, most manufacturers send guitars out like that, just in a triangular box inside a bigger rectangular box. I got my first Jackson like that, a '92? Kelly Standard, and even my '94 Dinky HX. It's ridiculous, and I think every company should be using cases to ship anyway.
                            I'm not aware of Jackson sending anything in a gig bag, but I heard within the past year or so they started using cases for the imports.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

that green swirl is simply beautiful... good luck on getting a new case.

Comment

Working...
                              X