DK2 vs DKMG/DKMGT feel & playability question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 vs DKMG/DKMGT feel & playability question

I have a question about playability and feel. I know this is difficult to answer, but Jacksons are very hard to find around here (even dealers stock very few). So I'm asking you guys on the forum.

I bought a DK2 blind for $325 on Craigslist from a pawnshop in Naperville in March. Choice was based soley on recommendations from you guys on the forum about DK2 feel and quality. It worked out. It has the nicest neck I've ever felt. The profile matches my hand perfectly. The MIJ quality is great, the fret finish is great, on and on. I love playing this guitar.

My only complaint is in the config. I hate tremolos. I really want a hardtail. And I'd prefer an H-H combo instead of the DK2's S-S-H combo.

Is there a Jackson that fits these requirements? I'm especially interested in a DKMGT but can't find one to play. Does the DKMGT neck feel anything like the DK2?

Thanks guys!
    Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
    Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
    Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
    Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
    Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

I think the necks should be about the same but there is definitely some variability in the same models. Some feel fatter and some feel thinner for some reason. Also, don't forget the DKMG/DKMGT is archtop where a DK2 is flat if that matters to you. May look at a DXMGT if it does. Flat top, similar neck, HH, sharkies, etc..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

dk2m has 2 hum config. but then again, you don't like trems.
      from memory, i think i liked the dkmg/dkmgt necks better than the dk2s (but i may be imagining this). personally i think the tiny triangle inlays on the dkmg/t are better looking than the large, sharkfin inlays; plus for me, that simple difference makes a real difference in the feel of the fretboard.

Comment

Yes.
        Try to find a DKMGT without HZ's, or plan on replacing them.
        If you can find one with EMG 81/85 you're in business.
        I have a J90C and some other old Jackson pup in mine and it sounds great.

The neck has a thin profile and I happen to like the archtop.

You can block your trem off with a simple piece of wood against the block.
        Unobtrusive, and works.

Comment

Personally I like to archtop feel. I think it feels more "natural" but then again I have a couple of flattop guitars which I also love.
          I don't think the difference is massive regarding the necks. Just go for it I doubt you will be disappointed with a DKMGT!
          Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

The DKMG necks are bats. The ones without trems seem a little thinner though.
            I would find a Dk2T. HH config with a tom bridge and the great DK2 neck profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              I would find a Dk2T. HH config with a tom bridge and the great DK2 neck profile.
              A DK2T! I completely forgot about those. I've never actually seen one. Are they made in Japan or Korea or...? I definitely prefer MIJ based on the high quality of my MIJ DK2.
              Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
              Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                I think the necks should be about the same but there is definitely some variability in the same models. Some feel fatter and some feel thinner for some reason. Also, don't forget the DKMG/DKMGT is archtop where a DK2 is flat if that matters to you.
                Yeah, good point. I've been thinking about that. My archtop Ibanez cuts into my forearm after a while and bothers the nerves in my forearm. I wonder if the DKMG would do the same. I really like the forearm bevel of the strat-style guitars.

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                May look at a DXMGT if it does. Flat top, similar neck, HH, sharkies, etc..
                Here's another long-standing question I've had. Is the DX quality comparable to the DK? I know the DK is made in Japan. Where are the DXs made?

Thanks for the input.
                Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

The dkmg is MIJ and so is the DK2T. They are the same quality.

Comment

I think the DX's are made in Japan
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

The DKMG necks are bats. The ones without trems seem a little thinner though.
                      All three of the DKMGT's I have tried are some of the thinnest Jacksons I've ever played.
                      Never played a DKMG though.
                      Is there that much of a difference between the string-through and the trem models?

Comment

I had the same exact DKMG as Rich's. I wouldn't have called it a bat but it was thicker than my Model 6, Soloist Pro, and USA soloist. I honestly think if you had a few of the same model together to switch around with, you would notice a difference in the necks. There definitely seems to me to be some variability in the necks (guy was hungover every other day at the factory maybe??)

Without going back through the scans, I think the DKMG, DXMG, and DK2 are all alder, MIJ, and have bound rosewood fb's. The differences are DKMG(T) = Archtop, EMG 81/85 (or HZ's with AB on around 2003 and earlier), reverse HS, Pirannha tooth inlays. DXMG = flat top, EMG HZ's, Sharkfins, rev. HS. DXMGT has the smurf hat HS. DK2 = flat top, Duncans HSS (earlier ones had duncan designed IIRC), sharkfins, normal HS. DK2T is same with HH.

I haven't heard about the DX's being any worse in quality than the others. So unless you want the smurf hat HS, DK2T seems like the way to go to me too..
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The DKMG necks are bats.
                          you must have small hands...:think:

Comment

you must have small hands...:think:
                            No not really and what does one have to do with the other. If you read the post before your's Their's is thicker than a lot of their other J/Cs. I have played 2 DKMGTs and thought they have the perfect neck profile but the ones with trems seem thicker. Out of the at least 40 jackson charvels that I have owned it's in the top 2 thickest necks. There are other member here who have agreed with me on other threads and I have a friend that agrees too(he plays Jems though).

Comment

This whole neck profile inconsistency thing bugs the piss out of me. I found an SL3 for a damn good price the other day and passed because the neck was a Louisville Slugger. I mean HUGE! Was just horrible.
                              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                              X