Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Year Did Jackson Start Compound Radius Fretboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Year Did Jackson Start Compound Radius Fretboards?

Hi All,

I'm trying to measure my fretboard radius since I'm going to refret it but it looks to me that on my 93 Dinky XL that it's a 16" radius straight through...

It also could be that there's a very small difference between a 12" and 16" radius and I'm just not seeing it...

I am measuring it with radius gauges.

dinkyguitar

I don't think imports get the compound, or only certain ones do.

Comment

Always. The compound radius goes back to the model series.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        Always. The compound radius goes back to the model series.
        Damn straight! That's why I like em!

A good question is how far back does the compound radius go back in US-made J/Cs? My guess, back to Randy's original!
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

That's a goo question as to when the first compound radius boards came out of the Charvel shop. The first strat-heads were straight 12" radius boards. I assume that the first pointy Charvels were compound radius boards, but I don't know for sure. I think Randy's Concorde was a 12" straight radius based on his Les Paul.

Definately all Model series were compound, but I'm not sure about the cheapos that followed the Model series.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I could have sworn I saw recent brochures / catalogs saying imports were a flat radius. I'll have to look around for it.

Comment

They were doing 16" radius at the nut back in 83/84.
              I don't think the compound radius boards cam out until late 84/early 85.
              I'm only going off of the spec sheets from 1984 that I found, so it's possible they used compound boards earlier.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I could have sworn I saw recent brochures / catalogs saying imports were a flat radius. I'll have to look around for it.
                http://jacksonguitars.com/features/js_series/neck.php

Apparently the JS series do, not sure about the old ones but the new ones definitely do.
                Gear

Jackson DXMG
                Jackson JS30RR
                Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                Blackstar HT5H
                Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                Marshall JCM 800 2203
                Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment