Upgrade from 580lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 580lp

So I have a dinky with a 580 low profile tremolo, it doesnt want to stay in tune that well and I was thinking about an upgrade. I used to have a king v that I bought a GOTOH tremolo for and I remember it fit fine but I dont think it had the low profile bridge.

What options do I have for replacing this tremolo?
    Maybe the dingo at your baby?

I think you need to find out why the trem isn't holding tune first. If it turns out that there is nothing wrong with the trem and a new trem goes out of tune just the same, you'd have just wasted a bunch of money.

Comment

I think its set up fine, I just think the materials are inferior. It doesnt go out of tune much, nothing the fine tuners wont fix but its like sometimes the thin e string is flat and I will fix it and then later it is sharp. I dont think I am totally inept in setting up floyd roses, I had 2 rg550s and never had to use the fine tuners or anything on them, always stayed in tune.
      Maybe the dingo at your baby?

Comment

It's pretty normal to have to use fine tuners at some point during a string's life cycle. Also, it may seem obvious, but WHEN are the strings going most out of tune? If it's right when you gt them, it may just be that you aren't stretching the strings out enough when you first get them. Also, I've found the 580LP on my KV3 and Soloist STD to be pretty solid, even through some moderate-heavy whammy use, the only thing it doesn't do is flutter well. So it may be that a professional set up could be all that's needed. However, if it's flat and then goes sharp, that may be something more than just a trem problem, it could be that the intonation is off due to needing a neck reset or something like that.

Comment

Yeah JT580LPs are pretty solid once set up but if you want to upgrade, the Gotoh should work (depending on which model it is). I can't remember the model number of the one I bought but it fits. You just have reduced pull up because the fine tuners stick out of the cavity a little.

Apart from the Gotoh, you can use the OFR. Better fit than the Gotoh IMO.
          Guitars:
          Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
          Ibanez S520EX
          Jackson DK2M

Comment

Working...
          X