X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing tremolo

hello evrybody.
    im newbie and this is my first thread

i have a DK2 with (lame) skull graphic, i love the playability, i played it in E standard, sometimes in drop C/B or standard C# with 11-52 string, it's always stay in-tune, the duncans is awesome, basically everything were great (but not the graphic).

the thing is im considering to change the JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo to a floyd original, or the schaller one. but the question, will it fit into my guitar without any drilling job or do i have to do some major modification just make it fit right into my guitar.

so help me please
    and share some of your experience...

i have some pics of my guitar here:

As far as i know the post spacing of the JT-580 is the same as a floyd so it should fit, but the routing may not suit the floyd rose, however if the guitar is staying in tune i wouldnt bother changing the trem.

Also the skull graphic is not lame, it kicks ass!

Good luck with the guitar

Comment

you should maybe start by fixing that bridge dude. You need to increase your string tension.

Comment

The post spacing is the same, but the route could be a little small for an OFR. The only way to tell is to test fit an OFR. You don't have to put the strings on the OFR to test it. You only have to have the OFR seated in the route and trem posts. I put one in several DK2's and it fit in two out of three guitars that had a JT580LP.

Comment

Hmm, you say everything is perfect about the guitar except the graphic, yet instead of getting it repainted, you want to replace the trem?

Do you know how to set up a floating trem? It doesn't look like it by those pictures. Why does it sit high up in the air instead of level with the body?

Comment

1st things 1st. The baseplate of the Floyd should be parallel with the route or have a slight decline toward the body route.

I have a DXMG & I believe the cavity route is the same as the DK2. My original Floyd fit the posts but the string lock screws are too long. The only problem this causes is the inability to pull up on the trem much. I believe Floyd Rose makes a LP version that should drop in there nicely.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Hmm, you say everything is perfect about the guitar except the graphic, yet instead of getting it repainted, you want to replace the trem?

Do you know how to set up a floating trem? It doesn't look like it by those pictures. Why does it sit high up in the air instead of level with the body?
              the bridge its high up because i put some battery beneath the trem, just to prevent my neck from tilting, cos im kinda busy right now and i will "abusing" my jackson for about 4 days, so i just put that battery instead of loosing the string tension from the machine head if your notice a brownish thing in pic #2, wrapped it with a paper and scotch tape.

about the graphic, i like the USA version better...XD

Comment

thx for the info guys...!!!, its really helpful!

oh yeah one thing, i couldn't get my trem arm/handle in tight position, i mean i can tight my trem arm, but its always loose everytime i push/pull the trem arm, so i have to tighten em up over and over again.

any tips from you guys?

btw sorry for my english,i know it sucks, but i hope you get what i'm trying to explain ;P

Comment

Try wrapping some teflon tape around the bar to make it fit tighter in the hole. You can also use this tape on the threads of the collar. And if you can take your trem off, if the posts are loose and wobbly, wrap those in this tape also for a snug fit.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Try wrapping some teflon tape around the bar to make it fit tighter in the hole. You can also use this tape on the threads of the collar. And if you can take your trem off, if the posts are loose and wobbly, wrap those in this tape also for a snug fit.
                    thx man! i'll try that later

Comment

Originally posted by Hamner1 View Post
                      I have a DXMG & I believe the cavity route is the same as the DK2. My original Floyd fit the posts but the string lock screws are too long. The only problem this causes is the inability to pull up on the trem much. I believe Floyd Rose makes a LP version that should drop in there nicely.
                      The Floyd Pro has different dimensions and string spacing compared to the JT580LP. A regular Floyd will fit, but not the Pro.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Check out this link for some info:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
                        Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

Yeah it fits fine. I have a real Floyd on my DK2. No problem.

Comment

Finally after 8 years, i replace my JT580LP with Schaller Folyd Rose.

This is some prove:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEAtcsAH390&t=74s

Comment

This was my guitar. (PC3)
                              An OFR will drop into a JT-580LP route in standard tuning just fine.
                              No issues at all.

-Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X