SLS3 or DK2M?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLS3 or DK2M?

How would you compare these two, if you've played both of them?

I'm getting ready to buy my next guitar in the next couple of months. The SLS3 is gorgeous. I have a Swamp ash Les Paul which I LOVE, but I want to get a 24 fret guitar.

I'm guessing that the SLS3 will sound more like my Les Paul & the DK2m more strat like??

I am curious, can you get much more different tones from the DK2M then the SLS3?

Personally, I dont think youll get a Les Paul tone from an SLS.. The SLS body isnt exactly an arch top per se. Its more like an Ibanez S series in body style. KInd of eliptical if you were to cut one cross ways. My personal opinion would be to go for the DK2M.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

The SLS will be more lead-guitar typed, won't sound any close to a Les Paul.

Which specs do you want ? bolt-on or neck-through, string-though or recessed tremolo,... ???

Comment

A swamp ash Les Paul doesn't even sound like a regular Les Paul made out of mahogany.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd usually go with the neck-thru jackson because , and i might get flamed for this, i find jackson makes a way better neck-thru than their bolt ons. I kind of contradict myself in a sense as i have had waay more bolt on jacksons and charvel than my one neck-thru, but ive sold most of my bolt ons or trade it for other ones, but i still have my neckthru. They just play so nice, feel good and sound great. Sustain is a fast improvement. Neck-thrus are where its at. It's a superior construction design, especially for a 24 fret guitar. However, i've had a DK2m and i loved it. I can't remember why i sold it, but it was a fun guitar. The maple is just sexy and the guitar is a pro series Dinky. My only beef with them is ironically the Seymours. I really dislike the tone they provide, but at the same time i give kudos to Jackson for providing their jap guitars with proper pick-ups. The bridge isnt half bad on it.

For looks, id go with the DK2M, but for playability the SLS3. If it had been SL3 it have been sexy and perfect . That 3+3 headstock gives me diarhea

Comment

from a question and answer session with Grover Jackson

Quote:
            Originally Posted by frankfalbo
            Welcome! You were clearly influential in the popularity of the neck-through guitars. Can you describe how the neck-through construction influenced your choice of wood types for the side wings? Was it different than a bolt-on or set-neck, or did you pretty much just go by the same guidelines? Do you have a favorite wood combination for a neck through?

I have real mixed feelings about neck through. I'm really in a bolt on state of mind right now.

Facebook Fan Page
            http://www.facebook.com/GroverJackson

Jackson Guitar Palace
            http://jacksonguitarpalace.com

Jackson/Charvel Forum
            http://www.jcfonline.com

Comment

Kevin Easton also was a big bolt on guy as well. I like bolt ons better too ,and I love the dk2m. Best guitar I own and i have some way more expensive. Its versatile looks good and plays great. Id go dk2m .

Comment

Yeah, the swamp ash LP sounds noticably different than a normal LP, in a good way.

I had an early 70's strat as my first real guitar. It had a maple neck with one of those horrible 3 bolt necks. I had that guitar for over 20 years. I hate those 3 bolt necks.

I've watched all the utube clips I could find on the SLS3 & the DK2M. Based on what I've seen the DK2M might have the broader tonal palette. It's hard to tell, there aren't that many clips with SLS3's. Too many are death metal to really see what it is capable of.

I know there are some folks around here that own SLS3's. I was hoping to hear from some of them. Both guitars look sweet. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one. The SLS3 seems nicer from a distance though.

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
                  Kevin Easton also was a big bolt on guy as well. I like bolt ons better too ,and I love the dk2m. Best guitar I own and i have some way more expensive. Its versatile looks good and plays great. Id go dk2m .
                  Thanks, I was set on a DK2M. I just started looking into the SLS3 this week. None of the shops I've been to have either one.

Comment

It's not cause he was focused on bolt ons, that his neck-thrus arent superior. The design is just engineering evolution brought to the guitar. It's strenght, sustain and great tonal abilities make it a superior guitar. Doesn't mean you cant have amazing bolt ons. Steve Vai still plays bolt ons, tons of guys do, but it cant be denied that on the scale of improvements made to the guitar in recent decades, the neck-thru construction has been a great advancement. Especially now that they can be produced for a lot cheaper. I.E. Schecter guitars, which are some of the best value out there in beginner to intermediate. Im not hating on the dinkies, cause god knows i also have love for bolt ons and not too mention i have a model 4 that kicks ass, but i just really think he should know that the SLS3 would be a great guitar.

Comment

Just throw a set of EMG's in yer Paul..play it like that for a while until that becomes the tone you identify from a Les Paul...then get whatever guitar looks good to you...throw a set of EMG's in that....BINGO instant Les Paul tone for you
                      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

By the way, do you mean SL3 (Not SLS) ?

Here is the difference: SL3

SLS3

Notice the difference in headstock. The SL3 Looks much sexier, and the tone is actually alot more focused on the SL3. I had both. The DK2M is great, but the SL3 will satisfy time and time again

Comment

I don't like rosewood fretboards. I didn't write SLS3 by accident.

I might get an SL1 but I'd never get an SL3.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                            Just throw a set of EMG's in yer Paul..play it like that for a while until that becomes the tone you identify from a Les Paul...then get whatever guitar looks good to you...throw a set of EMG's in that....BINGO instant Les Paul tone for you
                            :think:

Maybe all those bombs have left some lingering damage to your ears. (or your sense of humour).

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post

To the OP - they are vastly different guitars. Different necks, different tones, different feel. Don't buy the neck-through = more sustain myth. What you get with a neckthrough is slightly better upper fret access (due to the absence of a clunky heel) and a warmer tone. Bolt-ons tend to be brighter for whatever reason. Get whichever one feels better to you. As far as getting a swamp ash LP tone...you already have that. Get something different!
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X