Need help with KVX10 Serial Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with KVX10 Serial Number

Hi! Recently I purchased a used KVX10 and I need some help about the serial number:

I conducted a search in the forum and believe it was built in 1995 or 1996. Can anyone confirm this information? Does anyone know whether it is made of Alder or Basswood?

Some additional information about it:
    - Maple Neck with Rosewood fingerboard (24 frets)
    - MOTO Sharkfin inlays
    - Duncan Designed Pickups HB103N (Neck) and HB103B (Bridge)
    - Tune-o-matic bridge with strings through the body

If anyone can confirm the year of manufacture and the wood used I'll be thankful!

I don't think the KVX10 came out until 2002 or so. They started as alder but later moved to basswood when they changed from stringthrough to Floyd Rose. If I am incorrect, there are a slew of people here who know far more than me who will correct me.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Ron can estimate but if you really want to know take the neck off.

Comment

The KVX10 was not made as early as 1995/96.

The serial places it somewhere in 2004 or 2005. This is just a "guesstimation". Can't say for certain, since the japanese bolt-on serials are purely sequential, and contain no additional info. And they weren't always chronologically applied either, adding to the uncertainty. The only way to know for sure when it was made, is to take the neck off and read.

But since it is the fixed bridge version, the body should be alder. The switchover to basswood happened when it got a trem (in 2006, unless I misremember).

Comment

Mine is 9694501 and I think I got it in 2003. Maybe 2004. Definitely not any earlier than 03 though.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

They didn't switch from the TOM/Alder to the Floyd Rose/Basswood until 2006, (and they were introduced in 2001).

I don't know the order of the Serial Numbers to help you date it better, but that's all I could spare to help you.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know they were around in '01. I was thinking even '02 was too early.

Comment

Same

Checked the catalogs though, all there.

Comment

Ron here

969 = 2003
                  973 = Late 2005, early 2006

MHMat is correct, model was intro'd in '01 (these were made in India) in '02 switched to Japan. These era models had alder bodies. Nice mid range axes; I'm still debating selling my '04.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I just took the neck of mine and it said 17th of june - 2004. Pretty asesome date since 17th of june is Icelands National holiday or something. Its just like 4th of july to Americans.
                    SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
                    Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

Comment

What's that serial, Hoddi? Between 970 & 972 right?

Comment

Thank you, guys!!

Now I know that was manufactured between 2005/early 2006 and is made of Alder

When I have proper tools I will check the Neck Pocket (don't want to mess the fixing screws with improper tools).

Once more, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          I'm still debating selling my '04.
                          Are you crazy!?
                          I remember you saying it's your main player not long ago. You'll be hard pressed to find another like it if you sell it, I know because I've been looking for another string-thru KVX10 to compliment my ASB '03 for several years now.
                          I believe nobody sells them because they don't fetch bring in nearly enough money for what they are actually worth in playability and sound. And mojo.
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Hi shadowcat, yes, it was my main player for a long time. Subsequently I have acquired a KBRR (neckthrough mahogany), a RR24M (MIJ neckthrough), and I've had that JacksonStars RR1JEK (ash body MIJ neckthrough) for a few years now. I've been using the KBRR the last couple gigs, I'll probably try out the RR24M for the upcoming ones. The JacksonStars is so nice I'm kinda afraid to play it out, although I did one year at MetalJam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfVDieAMz4Q

Maybe you can make an offer on my KVX?

Comment

Thanks Ron, but from my point of view it doesn't make much sense to buy a used X-series Jackson from the states.
                              With the international shipping and customs + VAT on top it just wouldn't be worth it IMO... I'm sure sooner or later one will appear locally as well.

It was a different case with my JacksonStars RRs, as they are both unique and top of the line, so I happily ate the extra costs to acquire them.

And I've gone through the same phase as you, mostly playing my mahogany and ash neckthrough RRs, but let me tell you: One day you'll dig out that trusty KVX again and wondering why you ever neglected that guitar in the first place. It's just something different, probably because of the bolt-on neck construction and different shape... and the SD Distortion certainly helps to give that certain in-your-face sound!

At least it has been the case with mine... that snappy, aggressive sound just inspires me to write riffs every time.
                              I mainly want another because I'm afraid if something happened to mine, I'd lose my main source of inspiration.

Now, excuse me while I go play mine!
                              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                              X