No announcement yet.

What's the consensus on this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never really been WOWed by the Tone Zone either, but I never gave it much of a chance. I swapped the pups in my So-Cal for a JB/59 combo a few months back...

I actually dislike the JB for the music I play with my band, but the So-Cal was supposed to have that classic metal vibe and the Dimarzios weren't doing it for me.

I have put a Super Distortion/Humbucker From Hell in it since then. I love this combo.

I know people who LOVE the tone zone... but also know people who LOVE the icepick.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Duncan Custom in a San Dimas = classic rock vibe out the wazoo, will do heavier stuff too, just add gain.

Also works well in a Soloist, or a swap ash body bolt-on. Pretty much everything I've tried it in except my hardtail, it was too dark.

Have I mentioned that the Duncan Custom is the best pickup ever yet today?

Comment

my CS soloist is ash. It has a BareKnuckle Ceramic Nailbomb though... That pickup is bloody incredible. Crushingly heavy and cleans up well. nice and smooth. Everything I ever wanted in a pup is in it.

about the custom - Isn't it supposed to be P.A.F. on roids? I wouldn't think it would be for classic rock stuff. I will def. check it out when I am bored of the SD. it is actually a '72 Super D that was in my '79 strat before I replaced it with a bareknuckle Holy Diver.

If you can tolerate the price, the Ceramic Nailbomb is damn incredible. The regular Nailbomb kicks ass too if you don't need the ceramic magnet.

The Holy Diver is GREAT for classic metal stuff. I am in love with that thing. And the irish Tour single coils are really great. I may pickup another Diver for the So-Cal in the future, but I would have to have a home for this Super Distortion so that is for another day.

I just love Bareknuckle pickups. really worth the price to me. But I am not playing your guitars lol. I urge you to try one out, and maybe you'll be a convert. plus Tim there is really helpful at telling you what to get. I didn't want the massive bass response of the Warpig, but I wanted a pickup that was about as hot as it. He reccomended the Ceramic Nailbomb and it blew me away.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

That IS a pimpin' guitar! I might have to snag one for myself. It makes me think of those Paul Allender guitars that PRS put out a few years ago, only cooler and without the crappy bridge they use. Nice!
          The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

That IS a pimpin' guitar! I might have to snag one for myself. It makes me think of those Paul Allender guitars that PRS put out a few years ago, only cooler and without the crappy bridge they use. Nice!
            and the crappier bat inlays.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              and the crappier bat inlays.
              I don't think Allender himself plays much lead, so I'm sure they're fine for him; but those inlays don't make any sense at all once you get above the 12th fret. Damn confusing if you like to see where you're at. This Dinky is looking better to me every minute. I feel some GAS brewing!
              The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Working...
              X