Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Remove the Active EMGs from Their DKMG and what did you replace them with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Remove the Active EMGs from Their DKMG and what did you replace them with?

I'm just not bonding with my DKMG sound wise and I think it's the EMGs that I'm getting tired off overall(all actives for that matter). Anybody swap them out and if so what did you replace them with? I love the feel of the neck over a lot of my other guitars and I had one for a short time a few years ago with the EMG hzs and loved it.

Then get some EMGhzs?

While I'm not an EMG hater, it's taken a while but I think my EMG axes sound alright. I can even get an AC/DC tone out of an 18v EMG81 in a Fusion.

Comment

EMHhz? Yeah...get a screwdriver to poke your eardrums as well...and that won't get around the fact that you still have to gut everything...

You'll have to replace pots/out-put jack/and reconnect your bridge ground. Have you tried putting the 85 in the bridge yet? Have you tried a BO neck in the bridge spot? Have you tried a 60 in the neck?

Rich...what kind of sound are you going for?

Comment

I'm looking for an 80's to current metal sound. I have the 85 in the bridge, I actually like the 81 better. Since I have 2 guitars with active EMGs one may end up with 2 81s. I might have to think about the blackout especially if the jackson has the new emg connectors where I couldn't use the switch either.

Comment

I think the Jackson DKMGs have the quick connector pins so you could swap out the EMGs for one of the SD BlackOut models. I find that for me, my EMGs sound really bad if I scoop the mids on my amp, so maybe adjust your EQ away from the "normal" metal EQ of boosting highs and bass with scooped out mids.

I really like the metal tone out of my EMG81 in my King V3. It's the cleans that are a bit "over processed" sounding to my ear.

If you want to switch to passives then you will have to gut the guitar and switch out new pots etc. My first suggestion would be to swap the two EMGs around with the quick connect plugs. Or if you've done that and didn't like it, get an SD Blackout (which model you get will depend on what sound you want) since they're also quick connect-compatible and will work 100% with the emg pots and input jack.

But, if you just don't like the "active" sound, you'll probably have to gut the guitar and get passives.

Comment

I'm using a J90C bridge and another Jackson pup from a Concept in the neck.
            Love it, perfect tone for 80's shred.

I did replace the pots to Gibson vintage spec with an RS kit courtesy of Straycat.
            I think they are 500K, not sure.

Comment

Quick question while on the topic of switching pups, I have a DXMG, I wanna switch the EMG HZs for Blackouts, considering the battery cavity, the wiring and what not, how hard would this be?
              Gear

Jackson DXMG
              Jackson JS30RR
              Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
              Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
              Blackstar HT5H
              Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
              Marshall JCM 800 2203
              Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Holy hijack batman...
                I like EL34s.

Comment

My DKMG came with the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. I like the 85 in the bridge of my warlock but not in the DKMG. I swapped and the 81 into the bridge and I like it alot better. Seems kinda mixed on reviews but maybe try the 18v mod before you do too much. Easy mod and may get you where you want without lots of money (or work..). I think I'm gonna try it soon. Or maybe the afterburner that I have sitting here.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

My DKMG has the EMGs in it and I tried the 85 in the bridge thing and am still not happy with the tone. Dont know what Im gonna do about it as Im broke and only had experience with a hand full of other pickups. The sad thing is that its really a crap shoot anyhow as different pickups sound different in different guitars. Ive had EMGs in other guitars that Ive liked the sound of but not the DKMG. Ive had the Dimebucker in different guitars before and again it sounded great in one guitar and ass in another, so Im not really sure what to put in it or how much money Ill end up spending trying to find a pickup that sounds good in it.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Crapshoot is right.

I have stock pickups pulled from other guitars...that sound much better in other guitars.
                      :shrug:

I'm still running an EMG 85 in my Model 88.
                      Doesn't make sense on the surface, but I am disappointed with
                      anything else in that guitar.
                      (Trick...I have it set much lower than you would think, and
                      no 18V mod).
                      It actually sounds thick in the lower mids, a sound I like with early 80's metal.
                      (Judas Priest, Scorpoins, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        Crapshoot is right.
                        That's why it's a good idea to have your own stockpile of pups to experiment with.

Comment

Working...
                        X