Heavy Strings\Standard Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Strings\Standard Tuning

Currently own a jackson dk2m, and I want to put heavy strings on it, maybe 12's or 13's even. I wont be playing your typical electric guitar music, I'll be leaning toward more finger picked/classical music, cuz with added effects like reverd and some delay it sounds amazing.

Only problem is that I want a richer tone, so thats why I watn the heavier strins. Now Ive already blocked the trem but I'm worried about the neck. Do I have to do something to the truss rod or anything?

I currently have 10's on it now.

Tighten the truss rod a little bit to compensate for the extra tension and you'll be good to go.

Comment

more likely than not you'll have to tighten the trussrod, as the extra tension on the strings will give you more neck curvature

Comment

How much do you think I should turn it? I dont want to mess it up (clockwise to tighten right?) , and at the same time I have I cant afford to bring it into a shop.

Comment

Originally posted by steel8909 View Post
          How much do you think I should turn it? I dont want to mess it up (clockwise to tighten right?) , and at the same time I have I cant afford to bring it into a shop.
          Just turn it a little bit each time and then check. If it's not enough, than turn a little bit more and check again.
          SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
          Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

Comment

I put 12's on a DK2 and did not have to tighten the truss rod. Put the strings on it first then tune it. You'll know if you have to tighten the truss rod and don't worry about it--it won't damage a DK2 if you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              I put 12's on a DK2 and did not have to tighten the truss rod. Put the strings on it first then tune it. You'll know if you have to tighten the truss rod and don't worry about it--it won't damage a DK2 if you don't.
              hes right you gotta string it first then tighten the truss rod. though i dont think 12's or 13's will have the same sonic response as 10s but try it first

Comment

I Put 12's on my Jackson. But i Drop to G sharp. The guitar likes this set up.. it works for me.

Comment

G#?!

Dude, nothing says "I need a seven string" more than dropping to G#...
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    G#?!
                    Dude, nothing says "I need a seven string" more than dropping to G#...
                    hahahaha
                    I think it's more like "I need a 6 string Bass Guitar" more than dropping to G# Guitar

Comment

Working...
                    X