Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloists

Hi everyone, I'm new here so please bear with me

At the moment I play an Ibanez RGT42 loaded with Bare Knuckles but it's time to upgrade and I've decided to move away from the Ibanez fold, partly because I want a guitar with a slightly thicker neck and partly because they don't have a thru-neck in the range that interests me. At the moment I'm swaying between getting a PRS SE Torero and a Jackson Soloist. I've already tried the PRS and was very impressed with its build quality but unfortunately, none of the local stores are stocking anything other than cheap Jacksons. I have a number of questions about Jackson guitars if any of you can help me:

1) What is the build quality of a Japanese Soloist like compared to a PRS SE Torero?

2) Is the SL3 now discontinued? A lot of stores here in the UK aren't stocking it anymore so I'm guessing it's gone in favour of the SLAT3-6.

3) What shape neck do the Soloists have? I'm guessing either a 'C' shape or asymmetric.

4) Does the SLAT3-6 have binding or not? The Jackson website says not but I was reading a thread here that suggested it would have.

5) How long is it likely to be before some decent colours are available on the SLAT3-6? I'm afraid I find the current choice rather uninspiring.

Many thanks for your help.

1) What is the build quality of a Japanese Soloist like compared to a PRS SE Torero?
    Better, The SEs is made in Korea, MIJ are higher quality.
    2) Is the SL3 now discontinued? A lot of stores here in the UK aren't stocking it anymore so I'm guessing it's gone in favour of the SLAT3-6.
    No they are not the dealers are probably waiting for the 2010 models. Rumor is that they are getting binding too. The SLAT-6 is an archtop
    3) What shape neck do the Soloists have? I'm guessing either a 'C' shape or asymmetric.
    I always thought more of a D.
    4) Does the SLAT3-6 have binding or not? The Jackson website says not but I was reading a thread here that suggested it would have.
    It's been mixed.
    5) How long is it likely to be before some decent colours are available on the SLAT3-6? I'm afraid I find the current choice rather uninspiring.
    At least until next year if ever. If they sell well I'm sure they add more finishes
    Last edited by Rich#6; 04-11-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Well, the PRS seemed to be extremely well built so that makes the Jacksons very promising

I like the look of the SLAT3-6 but I can't say I see the extra money in it. I can live without the archtop (though it is nice) and I'm not overly fussed about active EMG pups so the SL3 is appealing. Does anybody have any information on the specs of a 2010 SL3 and when it might make its way to the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Doadman View Post
        Well, the PRS seemed to be extremely well built so that makes the Jacksons very promising

I like the look of the SLAT3-6 but I can't say I see the extra money in it. I can live without the archtop (though it is nice) and I'm not overly fussed about active EMG pups so the SL3 is appealing. Does anybody have any information on the specs of a 2010 SL3 and when it might make its way to the UK?
        Is there a reason you are looking at new instead of used? Charvel and Jackson made some outstanding quality guitars in the late 80s / early 90s.

As far as PRS guitars, I've never played one. They don't do anything for me, so I can't help you on how they compare.

Comment

In all honesty, until the release of the Torero, PRS did nothing for me either.

I saw a used Jackson SL2H at a store but it was the same price as a new SLAT3-6 and I'd simply rather have a new one.

I'm happy to wait a couple of months for the new Jacksons to work their way through but I'd like to know exactly when this is likely to be and in the case of the SL3, I'd like to know what spec I'm waiting for.

Comment

I have basically what you are looking for, which is MIJ SL2H which was a limited run only sold at Sam Ash a few years back. It's virtually identical to the new SLAT3-6's but in a nicer finish, neck binding and with Duncans rather than the EMG's. I also came from an RG (which I still have in a different tuning) and bought the soloist because of Ibanez's lack of neck throughs (although the natural RGT's that were out a few years ago are badass).

Anyway, the fit and finish is fantastic, I am very happy with it. Neck shape is not really D shaped like a Wizard II, it is a little more C shaped but it is definately not a thick neck at all. You can keep your eyes out for one of these but the SLAT's are very nice too, I would have bought one if I didn't stumble on this. Carvin was also another very viable option, but they have a thicker neck and a 25" scale.

Comment

My God, that's a gorgeous guitar!! Jackson do some beautiful finishes so it astounds me that those on the SLAT3-6 are so drab and boring.

With regard to earlier comments about the SL3; the store I've been dealing with phoned Fender UK today to enquire about 2010 spec SL3 models and they were told that the SL3 is now a discontinued model. It would appear that my first assumption was correct and the SLAT3-6 has taken over from the SL3. It's a great shame as the SL3 was pretty much perfect for me but that's the way it goes. It seems that the future of Metal guitars at the moment is exclusively active EMG as that's what they all seem to be loaded with.

Comment

Originally posted by Doadman View Post
                In all honesty, until the release of the Torero, PRS did nothing for me either.

I saw a used Jackson SL2H at a store but it was the same price as a new SLAT3-6 and I'd simply rather have a new one.

I'm happy to wait a couple of months for the new Jacksons to work their way through but I'd like to know exactly when this is likely to be and in the case of the SL3, I'd like to know what spec I'm waiting for.
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

With regard to earlier comments about the SL3; the store I've been dealing with phoned Fender UK today to enquire about 2010 spec SL3 models and they were told that the SL3 is now a discontinued model. It would appear that my first assumption was correct and the SLAT3-6 has taken over from the SL3. It's a great shame as the SL3 was pretty much perfect for me but that's the way it goes. It seems that the future of Metal guitars at the moment is exclusively active EMG as that's what they all seem to be loaded with.
                  More likely the SL3MG (which has EMGs too) is the replacement for the SL3.

Comment

You can probably find a new old stock Jackson SL3 around somewhere. Also, I'd actually take a used SL2H over a new SL3AT. The SL2h will have made in the USA quality and finish, and it won't really depreciate in value so if for whatever reason in the future you decide to sell it, you can probably get about what you paid for it.

If you don't mind the SL3MG with EMGs, then by all means, just wait it out. But there are very divided opinions on EMGs. I like them, but I find them to be a bit limited in terms of versatility.

Comment

I looked on Ebay but there wasn't much there. I'll take a look and see if there are any SL3 guitars still available. Other than that, it looks like I won't be able to make a decision for about 7 weeks now sadly. The store won't be able to get the PRS in stock for at least 5 weeks and as the store is a two and a half hour drive away I might as well leave it until I'm next on holiday to make the trip. It will all depend on how they play on the day as I'm really undecided right now. I want to really like the Jackson because the neck probably suits me better and I'm guessing that the Japanese build quality is better than a Korean made PRS. However, it's £200 more than the PRS and is inferior in a number of ways. The Jackson is made of Alder whereas I prefer the Mahogany of the PRS. The Jackson has a Rosewood fingerboard while the PRS is Ebony and the PRS has binding. The Black Cherry finish on the PRS also looks gorgeous with the flame maple top while the colours offered on the Jackson are very poor. The black isn't even metallic, the grey reminds me of a battleship (though I saw a picture of a 7 string version on here that looked quite nice), the trans black looks brown and the green swirl looks like the guitar has just come out of a giant's nose. It has to be said that just looking at them, the Jackson looks a lot cheaper despite being £200 more, yet despite all of this I really want the Jackson to 'Wow' me when I play it to get over all of this.

I shouldn't complain as I'm sure both guitars are superb so in that way, I can't lose. Nevertheless, I hope to be joining the Jackson fold soon. I'll certainly keep you posted and if, in the meantime, anyone else has any thoughts, by all means let me know.
                      Last edited by Doadman; 04-12-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

OK, I may have come to a point where it's decision time as I've found an SL3 still in stock somewhere and it's in my preferred Trans Blue. Here are the choices I now have:

PRS SE Torero in Black Cherry - £725
                        Jackson SL3 in TRans Blue - £855
                        Jackson SLAT3-6 in Black - £950

The PRS has all the spec I want but not the neck and arguably not the build quality. I found it to be a very well built guitar but you guys seem to think the Japanese Jacksons are even better. I like the SLAT3-6 but I'm not sure I see another £100 in it over the SL3. Are active EMG's really that much better? That leaves the SL3 sitting right in the middle. It's a discontinued model but that may not be a bad thing. As this is a Jackson board I'll take it as read that you don't rate the PRS as highly so do you think the SLAT3-6 is worth the extra or am I better off going for the SL3? I play in a Rock covers band doing everything from Black Sabbath to Doobie Brothers if that helps.

Comment

Go for the SL3, I don't see emgs doing the doobie brothers to well. I myself have issues with the looks of the PRS double cuts being a flat top, they just look wrong.
                          Last edited by Rich#6; 04-13-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I'm going to sleep on it overnight but I think I'm going to go for the Jackson even though I've never played it. The Torero is a fantastic guitar as it has the mahogany body, ebony fingerboard and binding, all of which I prefer. I'm not as keen on the EMG pickups but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. People also tell me that Korean made guitars aren't as good as those made in Japan but all I can say is that PRS is one bloody well made Korean guitar. It's certainly better built than my RGT42 by a long way and I love my Ibanez. The concern is the neck. I could play it and it was nice. Even though it felt wide, it was nothing I didn't think I could adapt to but it was also very thin and one of my reasons for changing is to get a slightly thicker neck. That PRS isn't a poke in the eye away from being as thin as a Wizard II neck so I have to wonder if I'll be as happy with it long term.

The Jackson only really worries me because I've never played one before but if I am to get an SL3 I have to act soon. I've searched all over the internet and I can find only 3 available still. One is in Amber but they're asking £950 for it and won't budge so that's dead in the water. Another I found was in Black and the lowest they'd go is £799. That leaves the Trans Blue one at £850, which is my first choice colour and I'm happy to pay the extra £50 to get that colour and the flame maple top. It's true I like the passive pickups and the vast majority of people on numerous guitar forums have assured me that if anything, a Japanese built Jackson is better built than a Korean PRS. I've even seen some threads on here where people are saying they may even be better than a USA Jackson! All that aside, it's the neck that's swaying me. The width is the same as my Ibanez but it's that little bit thicker, which I think will help my playing. I'm not a shredder by any means; in fact my style owes rather more to Blues but I just like the feel of Metal guitars. The Jackson looks rather more obviously 'Metal' than the PRS but I'll live with that.

As I say, I'll sleep on it over night and probably order it in the morning.

Comment

If I had a choice of similar Japanese & US Jacksons at the same price, I wouldn't hesitate to get the US guitar. For one, it's just more guitar for the money. The only caveat is if the US guitar was beat to shit. But if the US guitar is in good condition, it's a no brainer for me.

The Japanese ones are great, but your insistence on buying new means a guaranteed depreciation if you decide you don't like it and want to move it on. The secondhand US Soloist will not. If you decide it is not for you, that depreciation has already occurred (to the original owner) and you will get what you paid for it back. Not to mention US Jacksons are bitchin'!
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X