difference between Dinky DK2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between Dinky DK2's

Hi, i would like to see if someone can help me find out the difference between these 2 lefty dinky dk2 guitars, and how to decifer the serial numbers. what i know is pretty much the obvious, the pictures below, the first one has chrome hardware, floyd rose seems cheaper, the second one has brushed chrome hardware, and the trem seems better to me, actually the second guitar is my favorite and does play alot better than the first.
    So that is my question, what the difference between these 2 guitars when they are the same model

Chrome hardware and the other satin silver hardware

Comment

There isn't any functional difference between them. The one with the satin-finished hardware is probably a year or two older. I know the satin hardware was used around 1998-99, but I don't recall when they switched back to glossy hardware on the Pro series. The other one is most likely from 2000-05. Jackson modified the DK-2 to have real Duncan pickups about three years ago, I believe. The serial numbers on Japanese bolt-ons are basically impossible to gain useful information from, since they don't indicate which year the guitar was produced.
      Last edited by pro-fusion; 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM.

Comment

I'd get a setup on the one that doesn't play as good. They should be the same.

Comment

they both have the same exact setup, the satin one i think is late 90's and the chrome one is 2003-2005. The floyd on the satin one is bigger, wider, you can see the body is routed out wider, and the hardware on it is better. I would sat the neck and the ash or bass wood body is the same but the harware is for sure different, the satin seems better. So what guitar plant in Japan would these guitars have been made in

Comment

The same one Jackson has used since 1986 - their own (Chushin Gakki I think it's called? I suck at names )

Anyhoo, there have always been rumors that Jackson imports are made by ESPee, Samick, etc etc, but they're one of the very few that have used their own Japanese shop.
            The original guys from that shop (the ones Grover himself trained) started Caparison.

As for your guitars, the year of manufacture (and possibly month) should be stamped in the neck pocket or on the neck heel.
            Pop off the springs and remove the necks.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

so why the different floyd roses?

Comment

Originally posted by movek1 View Post
                so why the different floyd roses?
                They're the same trem. One is gloss and the other is satin, that is the only difference.

Comment

No theyre not the same... the satin one is a Takeuchi made JT580LP, the other is the run of the mill Jackson JT580LP. The Takeuchi is a much better unit, heavier, better parts, and better metal.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    No theyre not the same... the satin one is a Takeuchi made JT580LP, the other is the run of the mill Jackson JT580LP. The Takeuchi is a much better unit, heavier, better parts, and better metal.
                    +1
                    The Takeuchi built 580's are great trems.

I still have satin one in a box waiting for my next project.
                    -Rick

Comment

I believe they're all made by Takeuchi, aren't they? I've never heard of anyone else manufacturing the TRS trem--it's the same cheap-ass trem as on every other company's entry-level guitars from that era.

Comment

No... they are not all made by Takeuchi.
                        Pull a 580 and look on the spring block.
                        Takeuchi stamps all of their spring blocks with their logo.

No logo = made by someone other than Takeuchi.
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM.
                        -Rick

Comment

The 969 serial is from circa 2003

The 966 is from around 2000.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

it's the same cheap-ass trem
                            cheapass? They're $180 new. Not so cheap nice wise, I personally love them over an OFR.

Comment

Are the more expensive ones hardened steel and more precisely cast? Because I can honestly say I have *never* played one of those trems that properly returned to pitch or had smoothly operating fine tuners. Whereas, I have rarely, if ever, played an OFR or Schaller Floyd that had those problems unless it was beat to hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X