JT 580 vs. Schaller FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT 580 vs. Schaller FL

Stupid question are are these two completely interchangeable ? Same Spec?

The JT-580 is different. The Schaller is the same as the JT-590.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe,

But can you drop a schaller into a JT 580 route? I know an original Floyd has the longer screws in the back.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I know an original Floyd will fit into a JT-580 route, but not totally sure about the Schaller/590 fitting in a 580 route. I think some people have done it and some people have also had troubles, from what I recall.
        I do know some people have had some intonation issues when using the Schaller, as the knife edges put the unit farther back.

Comment

Well I want to replace hardware with Gold hardware and the trem I want to be pain free any suggestions ? Guitar in question is a Fusion HH

Comment

Ah, a Fusion HH with a JT580?

You mean a JT580LP, with the string lock bolts up in FRONT of the tuners (not behind?)

You can't put a Floyd on that without routing, but I don't think you'll have a problem with clearance at the string lock bolts, you just won't be able to get the bridge low enough. At least, if you can, I'd be surprised. The route isn't really deep enough at the front, you can't get the tremolo down far enough, it will sit right on top of the wood between the posts and still the action will be really high.

I tried it on mine with an OFR and though I guess I could have put a really thick shim in it to get it to work I decided to just keep the 580 on there and block the tremolo instead.

If it is the 580LP I swear either gpdusa.com or allparts has the "takeuchi" tremolo which is pretty much the same, in gold.

Comment

so what model have you put one on, mine is a 92 FusionHH

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                Ah, a Fusion HH with a JT580?

You mean a JT580LP, with the string lock bolts up in FRONT of the tuners (not behind?)

You can't put a Floyd on that without routing, but I don't think you'll have a problem with clearance at the string lock bolts, you just won't be able to get the bridge low enough. At least, if you can, I'd be surprised. The route isn't really deep enough at the front, you can't get the tremolo down far enough, it will sit right on top of the wood between the posts and still the action will be really high.

I tried it on mine with an OFR and though I guess I could have put a really thick shim in it to get it to work I decided to just keep the 580 on there and block the tremolo instead.

If it is the 580LP I swear either gpdusa.com or allparts has the "takeuchi" tremolo which is pretty much the same, in gold.
                Yes a JT 580LP....trying to figure all of this out before I spend the money on something that does not work

Comment

An Original Floyd will fit in a JT-580LP route. Plenty of people here have done it.

Comment

would you bet 200 on it ?

Comment

I was looking at the dimensions on it and it looks pretty tight

Comment

Would a Gotoh fit better ?

Comment

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but i dropped a Floyd in my Kelly without any problems. You're not betting any money. If you're really scared, just take out your measuring tape and then go find a Floyd on a shelf or on a guitar at some store and come to the same conclusion we all did .

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            An Original Floyd will fit in a JT-580LP route. Plenty of people here have done it.
                            :dunno:

Absolutely it works... Sometimes!

The new ones, like, more recent DK2's and stuff, I have heard of, and I had no problem doing it on my SL2.

However, I tried it on my Fusion HH... Also a '92. It was NOT happening. Plenty of room for the string lock bolts and the base plate in general, but it would have taken a pretty good sized shim to get the neck angle steep enough to make the bridge work at all, let alone have clearance to tilt.

There are different route depths on these for various years/guitars. I don't know what is when, but my '96 SL2 had no problem with the swap (even had the correct thread in the inserts for OFR posts) but my Fusion HH would NOT work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                              I mentioned this in a previous thread, but i dropped a Floyd in my Kelly without any problems. You're not betting any money. If you're really scared, just take out your measuring tape and then go find a Floyd on a shelf or on a guitar at some store and come to the same conclusion we all did .
                              The problem is how deep the cavity is at the front, between the studs. It was quite a bit shallower on my Fusion HH than it was on my SL2.

I'm assuming the newer import guitars like the Kellys and DK2's and such use the same route than was on the '96 SL2.

I'd take pics if I still had the HH, but when mine didn't work I was pretty disappointed. Although, if you're willing to live with a shim that tilts the neck enough to require the bridge to be raised up by 5 - 7 mm or whatever, then you could do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X