DK2M vs DKMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M vs DKMG

Any pros and cons between these two? for those who own them, individually or both, does the carved top on the DKMG affects the string action (due to the floyd height) or its pratically the same thing as the flat top? i'm a little concerned about it, maybe i'm being a wuss :think:

cheers!
    "i dont need to pick the strings... i SCREAM at them!"
    http://www.myspace.com/velkansolo

I'd suggest go to a shop and A-B them. Buy whichever one suits you best. The floyd height shouldn't be affected. The neck itself sits in the neck pocket just as one does on a flat body. The exception is the DKMGT which is a stringthru, hence the neck sits at an angle.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

the dk2m has a slightly thicker profile than the dkmg. whether thats good or bad? up to you. wilkinsi is right, you really gotta play em to have a concrete answer. i dont have a dkmg tho, i have a dxmg w/ a dkmg neck so i cant help you on the archtop issue, but i agree with ^^, it shouldnt be an issue. i had few stealths and other than the hx(string thru), i had no issues with trem height. i believe both the dkmg and dk2m are recessed. pickups-(dk2m) i think some came with duncan designed and some with real duncans like the dk2's. the dkmg however came with emgs if i'm not mistaken. the dkmg/dxmg...one came with emg hz's while the other came with real emgs. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

I don't really care for them personally. They feel more like cheaper LTD's. I find the Jackson Dk2 models to be better. Unless you really want EMG's, i don't think they are all that. At the end of the day you can have a Dk2 or dk2m for a lot cheaper and it'll be just as nice (any finish from solid colors, to metallic, swirls, transparent with veneers or graphics) come with seymours and a decent floyd rose licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
          I don't really care for them personally. They feel more like cheaper LTD's. I find the Jackson Dk2 models to be better. Unless you really want EMG's, i don't think they are all that. At the end of the day you can have a Dk2 or dk2m for a lot cheaper and it'll be just as nice (any finish from solid colors, to metallic, swirls, transparent with veneers or graphics) come with seymours and a decent floyd rose licensed.
          with a name like fender i'm not surprised. fender necks are thicker than ltds and ltds being thicker than jacksons. the dk2m is thicker than the dkmg. its funny, i mean to each his own, but i'm on the other side and the ltds feel like a cheaper jackson to me.

just havin a lil fun with ya. welcome to jcf.
          Last edited by jdr94; 02-02-2010, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Having played the flatter tops and the archtop theres not all that much difference the curves are very gentle and wont be that radical in how they feel, the biggest differences have been mentioned the dk2m's having a thicker neck and the duncans.

Im not sure if the dkmg had the upgraded/hardened trems either... but that shouldnt be as much of a sway either...

I think a big deciding factor should be weather you want maple or rosewood, and the sharkies vs pirhana inlays both of which I like...

Then theres the JB/Jazz vs the emg's...if you dislike either set you can sell them both fairly quickly and use the money to fund the new pickups or partially fund them.....

Both are fairly popular models and should be good sellers so you should be able to find one or two to try...

Comment

I own both and I have to say that whilst there isn't a huge difference between the two, I definitely favor the DKMG simply because it just "feels" better. When you are playing them, you don't notice the difference between the arch top and the flat top and the only difference worth mentioning would be the EMGs versus the Duncans.

As it happens, I scored both from Musician's Friend in two separate crazy sales and I ended up paying a combined $850 for them both (including a Jackson hard shell case with the DK2M).

Comment

Working...
              X