No announcement yet.

Jackson Doug Aldrich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I have someone with a automotive paint gun. I just have to sand the sides of the guitar with sand paper first and he'll electric sand the rest. I thought red looked pretty good with rosewood so I was considering spraying it in a similar reddy kind of colour (just without all the silvery parts). As to whether I like this guitar or not, I've never really been able to play it. It was so retarded when I got it (even the action), that I just took off the strings and parted it out.

Oh and guys, incase you guys don't know what the Doug Aldrich model is:

http://dougaldrich.burningrain.net/g.../c_psyco_g.php

I quite like this guitar since it's pretty rare and it has pretty funky features. I'd love it if it had the original paintjob and was in better nick though. If I left it in this condition now, I don't think I'd be able to play it. I'm kinda picky about the condition of my guitars. It just feels like ass right now. Paint is all uneven, looks horrible. I'm leaning more towards respraying the whole thing as to not let it go to waste. Hopefully I have some time to sand the crap out of it. Thanks for all your advice guys.
    Guitars:
    Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
    Ibanez S520EX
    Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
      I wouldn't bother with spray paint on a guitar I cared about. Takes too much to make it look good and it will take FOREVER to dry completely.
      Eh? Have you ever tried it? I did it and it was no bother at all. Sure it's not as good as a factory finish, but for what it cost (two spray cans and a bit of effort) it was easy.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think I'm pretty good with a spray can. I've sprayed pretty much everything except a guitar. If I didn't know so many painters I'd pbly spray bomb a guitar too. I'm just saying a pro paint job (especially if it only costs you a couple beers) is better and takes way less elbow grease to achieve a nice finish.
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I have been looking for a beater DA model give it to me.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

No! Don´t believe them^^ They are trying to corrupt you

Leave it as it is - this thing looks just awesome!!!

Comment

Hey guys,

Holidays are coming and I'm still not sure about what to do with it. People say leave it like that but it feels like shit lol. The finish isn't nice. It's very very rough. I wanted to respray it before but I realised that there's too many dents/the fact that the OFR bushings are hammered in make it not worthwhile. I was thinking of just buying another H-H body to go with it. Maybe a warmoth one or something. Any colours you guys suggest? I'll keep the neck though. This guitar is too rare to give up. I feel like shit about splitting the body and neck but the body is in bad shape! If only the previous owner didn't decide to totally trash it...
              Guitars:
              Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
              Ibanez S520EX
              Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by Advv View Post

So I have this Jackson Doug Aldrich (the red one). I've been meaning to respray the whole guitar since one of the previous owners has resprayed and destroyed the paintjob again... Lots of dents meaning it'll require quite a bit of work to get it back to a good looking state. Also will require many hours sanding the shit out of it. Just wondering if you guys think it's worthwhile to do all this or should I just pickup a Dinky body (is the DA body a Dinky?) and slap the neck onto that? The neck also has a few dents that'll require quite a bit of fixing too... Like, I'd really prefer to have the original body and pickup config but it seems like it's just too much work. Also, the thingymabobs which hold the trem posts look like they have been hammered in. I have a feeling it's because the guitar used to have a Schaller bridge but the previous owner decided an OFR would be better (I don't know why he would think that) and hammered in the OFR trem post holders (which might be bigger than the Schaller ones?). Oh and if I respray this body, the pickups will be a Dimarzio YJM and a Bareknuckle Miracleman. If I get a Dinky body, it'll be HH with the Miracleman (Or a Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup) in the bridge and the neck pickup is open to suggestions.

So yeah, do you guys think it's worth it?
                Cold Sweat in the neck. if going 2H. or an Irish Tour single coil... They kill!
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Hey guys,

Holidays are coming and I'm still not sure about what to do with it. People say leave it like that but it feels like shit lol. The finish isn't nice. It's very very rough. I wanted to respray it before but I realised that there's too many dents/the fact that the OFR bushings are hammered in make it not worthwhile. I was thinking of just buying another H-H body to go with it. Maybe a warmoth one or something. Any colours you guys suggest? I'll keep the neck though. This guitar is too rare to give up. I feel like shit about splitting the body and neck but the body is in bad shape! If only the previous owner didn't decide to totally trash it...
                  I think the red looks good. I'd do a ferrari red, but that's me. A white or a black would be good too. Or perhaps even something like silver or slime green - anything!
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

I wish I was capable of doing the sponge-y looking paintjob that Itaru did on these/on caparisons.

Red is definitely an option since it matches the rosewood (imo). I don't know that many colours that suit the rosewood fingerboard.

Do you guys think I should just get a new body? The new body won't have all the features of the Aldrich e.g. heel cut, probably won't be H-S, won't be stamped DA in the neck pocket lol.
                    Guitars:
                    Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
                    Ibanez S520EX
                    Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by outgone View Post
                      No! Don´t believe them^^ They are trying to corrupt you

Leave it as it is - this thing looks just awesome!!!
                      +1000!!!
                      That looks kick azz! People charge big bucks to make stuff look like that.
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Reminds me a little of Page Hamilton's old ESP.
                        http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_page.html

I think it looks cool, and I'd play it as is for now, but get it repainted eventually.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's special. Personally I'd keep the body and neck together, just my two cents.

Comment

Do you guys know a fix for hammered in OFR posts? I don't even know how to get them out. They're probably stuck in there...
                            Guitars:
                            Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
                            Ibanez S520EX
                            Jackson DK2M

Comment

Do you guys know a fix for hammered in OFR posts? I don't even know how to get them out. They're probably stuck in there...
                              I imagine you'd use something like a gear puller to extract them. Hopefully it's possible to do that without damaging the wood around them.

Comment

Bushings are not hammered in. They are pressed in, in a controlled manner. To remove bushings, have a look at this link for one idea: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/sb/c...m#bushing_pull
                                Henrik
                                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                                X