Import Serial Number / Country of Origin FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that does look like a made in India number. Got any pics?|
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Having trouble identifying the model of this guitar, so I can determine what I should sell it for. It was bought new in 2000 I believe. Paid around $500 ($549 comes to mind for some reason) from what I remember. Serial number is on neck plate, 8 digit, and starts with 990. Thanks for any help...
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Hollywood; 07-31-2014, 03:41 PM.
      www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Hollywood, pretty sure that's a DX10D. The serial shows 1999 made in India.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

It's a DX10D.
          -Rick

Comment

Thank you for the help, guys...I appreciate it!
            www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Good list but it doesn't explain this I don't think: 701950 That's the serial number to my MIJ KV2, 22-fret bolt-on. Says Professional on the headstock. Got it via Musician's Friend if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanKV View Post
                Good list but it doesn't explain this I don't think: 701950 That's the serial number to my MIJ KV2, 22-fret bolt-on. Says Professional on the headstock. Got it via Musician's Friend if that makes a difference.
                It's an early 1997 KV2 (MIJ). There are some six digit MIJ plates that started with a "7" floating around.
                The last year of the 22 fret KV2 with "Professional" on the headstock was 1997.
                In 1998 the KV2 became a USA model (basically a KV1 with a Floyd) and the MIJ KV2 became the KV3.
                Last edited by rjohnstone; 08-01-2014, 05:13 PM.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by kc7txm View Post
                  Update to FAQ: 1994 MIJ Concept guitar serial range added to 7 digit serials

I now have enough samples to see there are both 6 and 7 digit Concepts, with most having 7 digit serials. 1994 MIJ Concept guitars should have a 7 digit serial number in the following format: 94xxxxx. The first two digits denote the year, MIJ Concepts were only made in 1994. There are some 6 digit MIJ Concepts floating around also, since the MIJ 6 digit serial number scheme would be the norm in 1994 that makes some sense. The majority of the serials I have seen are this 7 digit serial type.

[Update: The 1994 MIJ Concept guitars were released for Christmas 1993, so it is possible the 6 digit Concepts are the guitars built in 1993, as of today, I have not seen a 7 digit 93xxxxx serial]
                  [Update: 1994 MIJ Concept section added / updated in the "1990 to 2010 Made in Japan guitars" write up section]
                  Just for adding information, I own a JDR-94 Concept with seven digits starting with "93". So I guess it's a MIJ concept built in 1993, right?
                  Last edited by Fagulhakc; 03-05-2015, 09:09 PM.

Comment

That's right, 1993.

Comment

Here is my new (old) one:

Performer PS-2 MIJ in Trans Blue: Serial 9610699

In the catalog scans I found, that TB on Performers was only available in year 2000. What does the serial say year of production wise?

Comment

cosmodog, the catalogues are full of errors. You'll notice in the '98 catalogue the PS7 and PS6T are pictured in what appears to be trans finishes, but trans aren't listed in the finish options. The number of frets listed for some of '98 Performers don't coincide with the pics shown, either.

Dating that number format is tricky at the best of times, but especially during the period between '95-'99. From numbers I've seen, I'd guesstimate 9610xxx to be '97-'98. I can't guarantee you'll find stamps on the neck pocket/neck heel, but if you remove the neck the dates may be stamped in there.

Comment

Great, thanks Mudlark, I will check when I got the guitar on hand.

Comment

I have a JS30KE with a serial like this, seems odd. Bought new though. 0311xxxx

Comment

That number indicates made in India, 2003. It's a standard Indian number format, nothing odd...though, some Indian numbers print the full year. ex: 2004xxxx.
                              Originally posted by DED115 View Post
                              I have a JS30KE with a serial like this, seems odd. Bought new though. 0311xxxx

Comment

can you tell me about this, there is no serial

http://s577.photobucket.com/user/xibir1/library/

Comment

Working...
                                X