Model 4 refurbish project...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 refurbish project...opinions?

Guys what is a really good condition mid-80s Model 4 worth? I was given a Model 4 neck and body (all in really good shape but stripped down). The guitar needs electronics and a bridge/tremolo. What I had in mind was putting in a new Khaler tremolo, the active EMG S/S/81 sets of pickups, get fancy and install one of those EMG phase shift switches...then a quick look at what this project would cost ($450+!!!) made me rethink things. SO I would like some opinions: If you had $250-$300 to put into this project how would you spend the money? I am VERY open to buying used materials for this guitar. There's a part of me that is still tempted to invest the $450...I mean it would be a really fun project and I'd have a unique guitar that ROCKS and is probably a really good deal better than anything I could get new for $450l Anyway, any advice,comments, or opinions is appreciated.

Thanks Paul

If you can track down a decent used Kahler, that should save you quite a bit. I think it's worth the time & money to put this together, and I agree that it'll beat just about anything you could find new in that price range.

Comment

IMO, save the $450 for a better guitar. The Model 4 is a good guitar, but not something I'd sink $450 into... Except for nostalgia's sake. Some people are really hot on those, I'm not really one of them. I had one in the late 80's and it didn't last long with me, for whatever reason (can't remember.)

Now, $250, maybe. You could probably buy a similar-era guitar with kahler for that much, to strip pickups & such out of.

Comment

I'm restoring a Model 4 myself, and set the budget at $50 (although I already have the trem and pups). I think a $200 budget would go a long way if you let it sit in the closet and wait for deals on used parts. Those shiny new trems will drain your budget, that's for sure.

Comment

Thanks guys these are good suggestions! Im thinking about going really simple and putting in one EMG active pick up in the bridge position. Run one volume knob. Then fill the neck and middle pickup dwells with tight-fitting (but removeable as not to make permanent) wood peices cut out in the shape of single-coil pickups just to fill the holes (increase sustain??)...and then construct a make-shift plastic square pick-guard plate to cover the neck and middle pickups. The plate would hold the wooden pickups in place while covering the dwells and making everything look good aesthetically. Slap on a used Khaler and Im ready to rock! I have a Fender American Strat that I use for just about everything. But I love the crunch of the EMG actives. So The Charvel could be my one-trick ponyguitar to go to when I want monster crunch...it would serve as a good back-up guitar too. Then I could always add the other pick ups to it later. Anyway just an idea...if you are REALLY bored heres a link to what my guitar looks like now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iuANfJSm6s

Paul
          Last edited by Paulbiz; 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM. Reason: To add video link

Comment

These are monster guitars. They can be a lot like a classic car, though - you can spend more on it than it will bring in the market. Mine's got a full complement of EMGs and an Afterburner (not pictured). It still needs fret level and crown to be "perfect."

-------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I just sold a MODEL 1 all original and I am still regretting.
              JvicE

Comment

I have a Model 4 body being refinished with a Rising Sun graphic right now. My bro-in-law paints bikes, so he does all of my paint work. Nice to have him in the family.
                MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Grandturk that is Suh-weet! Can you tell us more about the pickups configuration and wiring? Looks like you have the EMG S/S/81's but I notice that the second tone control is missing and you were able to retain the switches ...How do the switches function now (any different than stock) and how difficult was this to wire? She does look amazing!

Last edited by Paulbiz; 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulbiz View Post
                    Grandturk that is Suh-weet! Can you tell us more about the pickups configuration and wiring? Looks like you have the EMG S/S/81's but I notice that the second tone control is missing and you were able to retain the switches ...How do the switches function now (any different than stock) and how difficult was this to wire? She does look amazing!
                    Why, thank you!

That picture shows the 81/S/S EMG set with master volume and master tone. The pickups are wired each one to its own on/off switch, the output of which goes to the volume control. Later on, I added an EMG Afterburner in the 3rd pot hole. Its a push/pull variable boost. The whole thing is wired to 18V.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulbiz View Post
                      Grandturk that is Suh-weet!

+1...I like that pearl white. Mine has a long way to go before it looks like that!

Comment

Working...
                      X