Possibly a Blasphemous Pickup quesiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly a Blasphemous Pickup quesiton

I was wondering if anyone has put in lower output vintage style single coil pick ups in their model series, such as fender, lindy fralin etc.

I know these are considered metal guitars, but the possibility of having a loud HB bridge pickup and a delicate fender glassy neck pickup is intriguing.

Thanks.

Whatever suits your playing style - a lot of the reason for high output pickups was master volume tube amps - you needed really punishing pickups to drive it into distortion. Today's amps have a lot more gain on tap than those old ones.

Use what you like. I've got a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge of my Model 1A - its a PAF style pickups with a little more bite. The original pickups in the 1A were vintage style single coils - likely wound by Abigail Ybarra - who's been winding Fender pickups since the 50's - on the original 50's machines that Jackson bought from Fender.

EVH's pickup in Frankie was apparantly a original PAF. And Mark Morton apparantly uses Duncan 59's sometimes.

Use what you like.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I used lots of different low output pickups in my old model series Charvels over the years all sounded great.A model 2 sounds the best with a J-90C or an old DiMarzio super D. IMO.
      It really depends on what amp you are using.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I did.
        I put a YJM in the neck and a Super D in the Bridge of a 3dr.

I love the combo because it makes a guitar super versatile IMO. I can get from awesome clean to cool n' crunchy with a flip of a switch.

As a matter of fact, I liked it so much I specced out my CS Charvel with the same combo. Never regretted the decision.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

the model series singles suck. I am swapping out the middle pickup in my model 6 today actually. Dropping in a seymour duncan ssl3
          Last edited by Rich#6; 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Use whatever you want. If it sounds like shit you will know.

I have some sort of vintage single in my ESP Horizon, and I put a Custom Custom in the bridge.

I added a push pull pot to split the custom, so that I can get a single coil sound out of that too. Great for Smoke on the Water, Hendrix stuff, etc.

When I use the single neck and the single bridge together, they are humbucking.

In fact in a lot of my axes (even Les Pauls) I wire a push pull to split coils.

Comment

what would you put in to a model 4 with the je1200 system on it?

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                what would you put in to a model 4 with the je1200 system on it?
                I'd put in something lower in output, maybe a J50BC and a pair of J200 stacked singles.

The stacked singles sound like mud without a boost, but with it I find they sound nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I'd put in something lower in output, maybe a J50BC and a pair of J200 stacked singles.

The stacked singles sound like mud without a boost, but with it I find they sound nice.
                  i was refering to aftermarket, whether it be dimarzio or SD or what else you have...

Comment

Working...
                  X