750 XL Stock Wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 XL Stock Wiring?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the 750's stock wiring, and what should be happening at each of the 5 positions.

I'm not positive it's setup properly.
    At the moment, i think position 5 (5 being full at neck 1 being all the way pointed at the bridge) is the neck pickup, and 4 the bridge pickup, but at 5 when i tap on the bridge pickup i still get sound. I have no idea what 1-3 positions do.

Thanks.

Also, has anyone put in passive pickups like a Gibson 498T or a duncan JB? Right now, it sounds a little muddy/farty with the originals, but it could jsut be the wiring
    Last edited by doomride; 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM.

I got my 750XL unloaded so I can't help at all with how the stock wiring works.

I put in a Stew-Mac Super 5 way 'E' switch with the Distortion Mayhem set. I also put in a push pull tone to reverse phase in the middle position.

I get:

neck humbucking
    neck single
    single neck + single bridge humbucking. Pull the tone to get an out of phase.
    bridge single
    bridge humbucking

The Duncan Distortion bridge sounds pretty brutal and not very muddy. My 750XL is a string thru.

Another choice would be a full shred. I think it's designed for short scale guitars.

The only thing I don't like about the DD is that it is very compressed, tight, not very open. Great for playing tight chunky metal but not for more "open" sounding stuff.

Good for Metallica (AJFA or earlier), bad for Maiden.
    Last edited by DonP; 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

+1 for the Duncan Distortion. It's got some bite. In reality though, choosing any high quality passive will give you a less muddy sound.

I think the standard way to set up a 5-way is neck hum, neck coil tap, neck coil tap + bridge coil tap, bridge coil tap, bridge hum. It's totally possible that someone has changed it though.
      Scott

Comment

Mine sounds like Neck series/neck parallel/neck+bridge (not sure just how exactly wired)/bridge parallel/bridge series

Not even sure you can get that type of wiring without jumping or such, so I'll have to look into that later on. Today hoperfully.
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by doomride View Post

Also, has anyone put in passive pickups like a Gibson 498T or a duncan JB? Right now, it sounds a little muddy/farty with the originals, but it could jsut be the wiring
          It is the consensus of the Board that EMG's sound most heavenly in the 750. An 81 at the bridge and an '89 in the neck for great versatility. That is the best combo I have found in this guitar.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The stock wiring for the 750XL (with neck being 5) was:

1- full bridge
            2- inner coils of both pickups
            3- both coils of both pickups
            4- outer coils of both pickups
            5- full neck

There are a ton of other ways to wire these, and when you get a used one anything is possible (including some screwed up phase issues when people combine brands without really thinking about their polarity), but that was the stock setup for the 750 and the Model 5.

Comment

Any chance for a diagram DG?
              Last edited by Dred; 03-25-2009, 07:23 PM.
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Lower right of this scan:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....488&fullsize=1

I'm almost positive that this will give you the setup I posted above with Jackson pickups.

Here's a color code chart if you need to convert for another brand:

http://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guit...lour_codes.htm

Comment

Much appreciated.

If anyone is interested, here is an almost the exact same thing as DG posted, except where the seetings were: 2-inner coils, 4-outer coils, these will be the opposite (2-outer, 4-inner). You can always flip the hums if ya really feel like it :P

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarel.../wdu_hh5l11_02

Thanks again DG, that's gonna help me out a lot!

Comment

Mine is wired standard + preamp.
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

thanks dg.

Comment

Originally posted by doomride View Post
                        While I absolutely love the JB in my soloist, I think it would be a huge mistake in a 750XL. Look at the differences in build, scale length, etc.

The 498T works great in my SG, but my SG isn't as thick and doesn't have a maple top. A lot of people who hate the 498T have it in a Les Paul, which is similar in build to this guitar. The typical complaint is that it's too bright, so it might work.

Are you sure the wiring is original and hasn't been messed with?

Comment

Currently have a love/hate thang goin on with the Rio Grande Crunchbox/Punchbox set in my 750 atm. Had a Dimarzio Dist/PAF set in for a while - hated it.
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

I've got a Distortion in the bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck of mine and couldn't be happier. The Distortion isn't usually a favorite of mine, but in this it's perfect for me. Seems like the warmth of the guitar takes some of the edge off and really smooths it out.

Comment

That's cause your ears suck.

j/k

Comment

Working...
                              X