Have a couple questions about my model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
    It looks to me like someone added that trem rout. A model 6 shouldnt have that. Is that rout deep enough to allow a kahler flatmount to go on there? Perhaps they had a kahler flatmount fixed bridge on there. The screw holes look like someone had a flatmount on there. Perhaps they had a spacer plate under the bridge that allowed the kahler to sit flat with just that shallow rout. Are the neck angles the same for the 86 and 87 models? So, in short, it looked like someone didnt like the jt-6 and found a way to mount a kahler without a huge deep rout and shaped it so it would just look like a pullup rout if they decided to go back to a floyd type trem. Plausible?
    This is the most plausible answer I've seen. I've seen some weird mods but this one had me stumped until Carbuff's response.

Comment

Agreed, I spent the last 3 days just confused & searching every site for info, forums etc. This makes the most sence, at least it's not a total hack job, I couldn't tell it wasn't factory, but what do I know?????? Hey Thanks alot. I'm going to put it away for awhile & get a ofr for it sometime down the road.

Comment

There is so much fail in those pictures I don't know where to start.

This is what a Kahler/strat mixed route should look like.

Yours looks like it originally had a Kahler. I know the serial says 87 but it might be an early build that still had a Kahler. It looks like some brain surgeon decided to add the JT-6 but used a recessed floyd routing template instead of a flat mount. Who knows? They even might have tried to recess mount it but figured out that the neck angle won't allow it and moved the mounting posts up. Those posts look way too close to the pickup. Look at the JT-6 in your second pic. You can see blue between the trem and the pickup ring. Might have some intonation issues if I'm right.
        My gear
        87 Charvel Model 6
        86 Charvel Model 4
        93 Jackson RR EX
        93 Jackson Kelly STD
        88 Ibanez RG560
        99 Schecter Diamond C-7
        Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Good call Glave. I noticed that the trem posts were too close too. With everything going or not going on there, it almost makes more sense to fill in the route and start over.

Comment

Working...
          X