Hand-Me-Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand-Me-Down

Hey all, new guy here. I just got this as a hand me down of sorts and Im trying to get it cleaned up nice. It is a model 4 with the floyd rose instead of the kahler...havent even got to play it yet. It was missing the plates and screws for the lock nut which im in the process of ordering...also need to put some strings on it. Its not in terrible shape (ive seen worse) but needs a lot of work.

Hi new guy. From the photo it doesn't look to be too bad, just looks to need some lovin is all. By the way, this is a model 3 and is still a nice guitar. Post some pics when you clean it up.

Comment

It's a Model 3, not a 4.
      Not bad shape though.
      The trem looks like it could use a good soaking in WD-40.
      Better yet, replace it with a real Floyd and call it good.
      -Rick

Comment

thanks for the feedback. I guess i was wrong. the info i found on wikipedia led be to believe it was a 4 for some reason. good to know!

my girlfriend is asking how much its worth, ha. hundred bucks? i have no idea...

Comment

Not much... $200 or so maybe.
          It needs a lot of help.
          -Rick

Comment

1 more question...if i was to replace the trem whats the nut size i should get? The options im getting are "R2-R7." Thanks and pardon the ignorance

Comment

You would need to have a Floyd "nut shelf" built up before you cold use a Floyd Rose type lock nut.
              This guitar was designed to use the Kahler string lock, which sits behind the nut.

Personally I would just get new string lock (which you can order online) and the swap the JT-6 trem out for a Floyd Rose.
              -Rick

Comment

Those pick-ups need to go.
                8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Welcome car.
                  Nice Model 3.
                  That should clean up and play sweetly in no time.
                  I'm actually a fan of the JT-6 trem, as well as the stock pickups.
                  "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                    J90's ROCK, and I love the tone of the j100's... the single coils are noisy, but I dig the hell out of em'... Just one man's opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                      Gotta disagree with that too. J-90's rule, but didn't the Model 3's have J-80's???

Comment

Yes, the 2 hum versions had them but Im not sure what the Hss version came with.

Comment

Welcome! That's a cool guitar for a hand-me-down. I would love to have one of those.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I had a model 3 just like that. I believe the bridge pup was a J80c. I loved that guitar it sounded great and played awesome. Unfortunately i had to sell it to pay some bills. Maybe someday ill get another one. Nice axr it should clean up and set up well. Im also one of the few who likes the JT6 trem and the stock pups
                            Gil

Comment

Humbuckerwise, J90C in the Model 3. 2-J80Cs in the Model 3A and J80C in the 3DR.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X